Thanks to an article written by his mother, I had the chance to meet Jeff Mattson. Jeff is living a better than good life and through reading about it I have had my eyes opened (again). Jeff's mom, Carlene demonstrated how her perceptions of DS changed gradually as her son grew and experienced everything a typical son would. Now, as she looks back she conveys a sense of relief that us "younger" parents should take liberally from. What an opportunity she is providing for us. The opportunity to let go of at least some of the anxiety we carry with us when thinking about what the future holds for our kids. It is going to be O.K., it is going to be a "typical" life that we all lead (for the most part). I totally understand her frustration at not being able to share her experiences to new parents. as they navigate through the many emotions that a fairly new diagnosis brings.
Here is the link so that you can read her words of wisdom for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment