I learned about this movie through a diversity and inclusion conference happening in New Orleans for HR professionals. Mark received an email about it and was happy to see this movie about a married couple with Down syndrome included in the email. The story of Monica and David is a timely one for parents of younger kids, as it gives us an opportunity to see potential and set goals for independence. I would love for the staff at Will's school to watch this, to give them an idea of the vision our family has for Will's future. Will can only be bolstered by a community that has in mind a future with more options for him, instead of less.
I also was interested by the families of these adults who could admit that they are unwittingly participating in setting up boundaries for their children. I suppose when you envision a future for your child that involves limitations, you are suprised to arrive at a future where there is more possibility than you imagined.
No comments:
Post a Comment