"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Seeing as we will have no real-life visitors this year...

..and I have dragged all the boxes up and climbed ladders and fiddled and tinkered, finding new homes for all the decorations here, I'm going to join in BooMama's house tour too!



Welcome!






A new house is always cause for a bit of Christmas decoration adjusting. What looked all lovely and matchy at one house does not always extend to a new house. Take for instance my banister. I don't have one anymore. So what to do with all the garland, ribbon, lights and ornaments that no longer have a home?
Well, you stretch them along your crazy long mantle, and then add your dining room reindeer candelabra to give all the gold silver shininess some height. So now what do you do with the dining room table?You move what used to be on your mantle to the dining room, which now hold the ornaments from your "gold" tree, which you do not have up this year because your not sure how two trees are going to work here. Hey, what about the greenery we used to have on the old mantle?

You cut into two pieces and use it in your light fixtures, with more of the gold tree. Here you also see one of the pair of the jingle bell wreaths that used to sit in our living room windows.

But even though things change a lot when you move, you can always be comforted by the things that remain the same.






Even if you think that these stocking are a little (or a lot) on the busy side, please ohh and ahh at them, because I hand appliqued every stitch, sequin and tiny bit of fabric on them. I took rediculously long to finish each of them. Will, who was born in May, didn't get his hung until 9pm on his first Christmas eve.




Here is our Nativity. Yes, it needs a little jazzing and I'm figuring out what to do with them. I would like a rustic, narrow manger for them.....that's a hint for next year dear.


Here are a few ornaments from our "Red" tree. These ornaments follow no theme, as you will soon see, but feature some red somewhere.

I get an ornament for each kiddo every Christmas, Mitchell started out with the Tonka trucks, them migrated to fire trucks.
Olivia gets an angel every year.
Our collection is very Eclectic.
This ornament reminds me that I was pregnant for three Christmases
We are Canadian, of course this belongs on our tree, even though it isn't red. This was a gift to my son from a friend back home in Canada.
This is a replica of the toilet paper/macaroni ornament I made for my parents in kindergarten. When I was married Mom could not part with it, so she made another one for me. It is always at the bottom of the tree, just where I parked it every year when I was little.


Here is a little nook in the kitchen.







And a spot in my office for my Tricia Romance plate, a gift from my mom.


Looking forward to next year I am sure we won't see any of this, as we are getting a puppy right after new year. This may greatly effect the decorating for next year as well.


Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoy the rest of your tour and I Wish you many blessings this Christmas season.

22 comments:

Mamacita said...

Your pictures are just lovely. I noticed that you have a picture above your mantel in the second photo. I have that exact same picture hanging in my house. I got it at Crate and Barrel years ago. I enjoyed your pictures and comments. Have a Merry Christmas!

Kim said...

Beautiful pictures! oh to be a cat!

Regular, with half and half and raw sugar said...

Very beautiful~ I'm so happy to find a Bucilla stocking making friend! I'm frantically working to finish one by Christmas. Its my 4th. And I just want to hug and kiss your cat!

Michelle said...

Love the kitty under the tree. I also have your nativity scene and my husband made the stable for me b/c I didn't want to spend lots of money on the Willow Tree one. You can check it out on my blog.

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

So pretty - I especially love the furry friend underneath the tree!

Kelly said...

What a beautiful home, and I love your decorations! They fit beautifully into your new home!

Merry Christmas!

SAHMmy Says said...

Wow! I don't know where to start--or stop--commenting! Your decorations and memories are fantastic! I'm drooling over the fluffy garland on your light fixture. Those stockings are impressive--especially love the Noah's Ark one; it's so different from what you usually see. Everything looks just perfect!

Keetha said...

LOVE the stockings! They're gorgeous. I can relate to the time each one takes.

I also love the Christmas ornaments - how fun!

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

I think I will be much like your mom and not be able to give up my daughter's homemade things. It makes me tear up just thinking about it!

My Trendy Tykes said...

I love your dining room decor!!

Hope you and your family have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Linda

Elementary Design said...

Beautiful home! Love what you did with the chadelier.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful decorations, great pics! Thanks for stopping by :)
God bless :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous and I felt right at home! ;)

I have to ask you where you obtained your giraffe ornament. Right now, Gabe is absolutely nuts for all things "giraffe". His love affair started with Rathman's book, "Good Night Gorilla". LOL!

I love the chandelier idea! Just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

such lovely things! i really like the reindeer on the mantel!

Kelly said...

Mamacita, Yes, that is a Crate and Barrel print :)

Lianna, The giraffe was a gift from my half sisters. I think it was from The Bombay Company...if I remember the box correctly.

Dawn said...

Loved your stockings!!!

You should make those and sell them on eBay or a flea market or boutique...you do wonderful handiwork!

Love the cat sleeping under the tree! My cats didn't really do that but they sure liked to paw at the ornaments till they fell. :-)

Thank you for inviting me into your home!

Merry Christmas from Dawn in Germany!

Lauren said...

Okay, your Christmas decorations are stunning, but that picture of your baby on your banner is the BEST!

Burgh Baby said...

You did a fantabulous job of making things work in your new digs. Purdy mantle, purdy tree, purdy kitty. It's all purdy.

Sharijoy said...

I love your entry!! The wreath on the front door! But my fav is the giraffe ornament! He is to die for cute!! Merry Christmas and Happy holiday eh!

Jennifer said...

Lovely home, Thanks for sharing! I have looked at your blog a couple time before I could post. I also have a Down Syndrome son Andrew which is 2. They sure are a blessing! You have a cute family! Hope to cross paths again sometime. Merry Christmas!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

You stopped by my home on the tour. I'm thrilled to return the visit. Your home is just lovely. The front door in particular made me swoon. Now that's a wreath. And red is my favorite front door color.

Wonderful home. Wonderful blog.

Unknown said...

You're getting a puppy? Well then, cherish the pic you took of the cat b/c that's the last time he/she will be that calm! HA! No, seriously, it all looks very pretty and congraluations on making your stockings, that's very special. Merry Christmas!