I have a secret. I've kept it to myself for quite a while now, but I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one. I think that there are a few moms out there, like me, who have had the same thought I have had...and kept it to themselves because, quite frankly, what would people think?
Has anyone else out there hoped that even one of the soon-to-be-born Jolie-Pitt twins will have DS?
I have.
I know that anyone reading this who has never had the chance to know mommyhood from the perspective of 3x21 will think I am awful, that I'm being mean spirited and self serving.
I don't think I am though. From where I stand, I think the Brangelina bandwagon relies on it's unique familyhood spin. They go to great pains to be an expression of happy, yet diverse domesticity. I think a child with T21 would suit their lives and their family well. Not to mention how having a child with DS would become instantly cool. What has that family touched that didn't turn to gold? They are a family marketing dream for any product associated with them, and certainly I do not think that a kid with T21 is equal to designer clothing or hip diaper bags, but there is something to be said for a situation that instantly kicks the arse of stigmas and misconceptions. A Jolie-Pitt with T21 would benefit my kid directly and immediately by a set of new parents who would be proud of a new aspect to their children's diversity. I like the fact that all media would be scrambling to capture pictures, thoughts, opinions and experiences of parents with T21. DS would be the "it" cause, the syndrome-du-jour, and the topic of many headlines. And you know that Brangelina would skewer anyone with a negative vibe toward DS.
What's not to love about the idea?
I'm willing to assume that all things genetic about these babies was learned months ago....but I'm still hoping.
15 comments:
Oh, you're not the only one! Thanks for sharing your secret.
i wish so too!!! Ina good way like you, I was thinking about it just the other day!
yeah, I have a funny feeling that everything was known about the chromosomes before they were out of the petri dish. I have this awful habit of thinking that any multiples are ART produced.
But that's just me.
Hello, you know I was hoping before, way before Angelina got pregnant got pregnant with her twins, that she adopt a child with ds. :-)
cheche
I hadn't thought of that, but now I wish it were true!
I had the same thought this morning while I thumbed through a magazine. I assume that they tested.
BTW, What's Will's school plan for next year? We just changed Joe's IEP.
I'm always secretly hoping for a celebrity with influence to give birth to a baby that's "different" because it only helps to bring more awareness to that segment of the population.
There are many celebrities who have children with Autism, and a few brave ones who talk about it openly to use their celebrity for a greater good. I admire Jenny McCarthy tremendously, just to name one, but there are a few more.
I think this was a very honest post.
I have often wished that someone famous would have a baby with DS. I can't think of a better couple to have one, like you said that would do bad things to negative people : ) OK, I am really liking this idea!!!
Yep, I've thought it. I guess it would be one of my secrets too.
Great post.
Amy,
Will's next year of preschool is going to be at a new school that is a 20 min. drive from the house. Doesn't sound so bad until I heard about the 7:45 am start time. (I'm not a morning person). I could get busing for him, but he just seems so young for that.If I had forgotten to mention, they closed the preschool that is so close to the house....the school that was one of the reasons we bought this very house! Nothing can be easy!
His IEP gets reviewed in October. He will have the same teachers next year, so the transition won't be too scarey.
Thanks for asking.
I share your secret.
I also believe the Dugger family is trying until they get it right (and get a bambino with DS, of course.)
I agree, if you weren't in our shoes, you'd never dream that that would be a lucky thing for B & A. But we all know that being the 1 in whatever the odds are is the same great feeling as hitting the lottery!
Wow, that's not a bad idea! Never occurred to me.
Love it! Yes, not only would they certainly be a great family FOR a child with DS, but what a wonderful "marketing" opportunity!
Well, maybe if this pregnancy does not have an extra chromosome, their next adopted child will.
f.
I came across you blog from my good friend Laurie.I have stirred over my emotions on the posting for the past 2 days.I am not one for controversy but I just have to share my personal thoughts on this topic.
I am a mother of 3. My oldest son has a developmental delay and an impulsive behavior disorder.By no means am I comparing that to having a child with Ds. I just know that what I have been through the past 8 yrs-the testing,Dr's appointments,meds,therapies, not to mention all the tears-I would never wish upon another mother. I couldn't imagine wishing a child with any form of a disability on my worst enemy. What if you had a child who was blind or deaf,would you wish that upon an unborn child? I honestly don't mean to sound harsh at all. I completely understand that you mean no harm in your posting and I appreciate your honesty. I even agree with you 100 % how awesome it would be to kick out stigmas and misconceptions of Ds. I just feel rather than wishing Down Syndrome on an unborn child,maybe wishing they would adopt a child with an extra chromosome would be as equally effective.
Grace,
Thank you for posting. I'm sorry to read about the stuggle you have had with your child's developmental delay and I understand that it would be hard to keep on top of the many demands it brings. I would never wish hardship on any parent or child.
When I revealed my secret, it was from my experience of having a child with DS. My son has brought our family nothing but joy and understanding. He has been our greatest teacher and a wonerful personality. He is well loved, but he seems to manage to give back more. If any other parent could have our experience, I now they would thank me.
Will's biggest disability is, and will continue to be, presumptions made about who he is and what he brings to the world. Will is not an endless string of medical appointments or a person who requires us to make endless sacrifices (not that we wouldn't), he is a giver and I hope every parent out there gets a baby who is as much a giver as Will is. Everytime I hear about a new baby being born with DS, I say Yahoo! Because the world is a better place with them in it.
On the other hand, I have two kids in braces that has resulted in almost-like-clockwork twice weekly visits to the orthodontist. I hope Brad and Angelina don't need to put braces on any of their kids ;)
Post a Comment