"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Friday, October 20, 2006

My Brother. An award winning film.

My Brother

I urge you to watch the trailer and the mini-documentary.
At the end of the mini-documentary they interview audience members as they leave a screening of the film. A teenager, of all people, remarks about the family values in it and how much a family can look out for each other. That is something that I try to convey in our family, how we never look at Will as a burden, but just as a son or brother and just like any son or brother your love makes you blind to the inabilities and lets you relish the abilities.

In the trailer, Vanessa Williams' character tells her older son that he will someday see the blessing James, the younger son with DS, is in his life. Again, something I can identify strongly with. I don't say it was a blessing that Will was born with DS, but I do say that his life is a blessing to all of us.

Kudos to the directors and producers for not making this a film about DS, but about a character, a person with DS. They have seen the difference and conveyed it beautifully, from what I am able to see so far.

I look so forward to the wider release of My Brother in January or February. I urge you to go and see.

No comments: