"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Monday, May 21, 2007

GIFTS...a sell out!

For the first time in Woodbine house's publishing history, a book release has sold out before it even really got a full release! Yes, the second printing of GIFTS is about to get underway as the first run is already gone!

This is going to put a dent in my planned book signing at my local bookstore (that I love). I don't think there are going to be any books! I have only one or two weekends left before we pull up steaks and move.

While I am talking about GIFTS, I want to relate a personal story. A while back I learned through one of those friend of a friend scenarios that a mom, who was expecting her 5th child. learned her child would have DS. I happened to have an extra copy of the first GIFTS and I gladly sent it to her. I have heard back a couple of weeks later and was so happy to learn she was EXCITED about her new baby. I don't think that any parent would ever include the word "exciting" in their description of what took place after a prenatal diagnosis. What an opportunity for new or expectant parents to get through the roughest patch of acceptance. I hope that every copy of GIFTS does the same job and brings moms and dads quickly to the point of realizing that life with a child who has DS is never terrible, never cloaked in the dark veil that is so often assumed. All the GIFTS stories show how full and multi-dimensional life is with a child who happens to have DS.

2 comments:

Christina M said...

What a great story - great to heart that they are happy already :-)
The pics from theb-day are hilarious, especially the crawling through the tunnel pics!

Yankee said...

That is a very nice story. And it is wonderful that the book has sold out already.
(Sorry I called you Mrs. OTL)