Today Will turns three. I usually like to take the opportunity to luxuriate in the memories of the person I was three years and a day ago, and the person I am now. It is ironic that an experience today brought this so much to light. As you know we are in the midst of a house sale here and we have encountered a bump in the form of multiple offers. Everyone thinks that multiple offers are a good thing, and maybe in some cases they are, but for the most part they are wrought with lots of emotionalism and hard decisions. When one of our "buyers" was reduced to tears over all of this I found myself surprised. Less than a week ago we found ourselves in the same boat, having put in an offer that was accepted, but before it was signed back another, better offer came in and we did mot meet the amount, so we lost out. It never occurred to me to be sad or emotional. I more or less figured it wasn't meant to be and we began our search again. I wonder if it was Will who helped me realize what things in life are worth getting upset about. A house is a thing. A very important thing mind you, but I will gladly miss out on something that was never mine to begin with to end up where I am really supposed to be. In every place we have landed I have met people who were life changing. I had experiences that were life enriching.
I wonder if things would have been the same at a different home.
In my journey in and out of different houses I have come to realize that a home is so much more than the colour of trim or the number of garage spaces. It is the family you have within it's walls and the people you have the opportunity to let through your threshold.
So for Will's birthday I am going to thank him for the gift he has bestowed upon me. Helping me realize that sometimes things don't seem to be going your way, but in the end you come out on top, and better than you would have if you had not had the diversion from what you thought was the best route.
I'm sure your wondering where Will's birthday picture is. It is coming. I have ordered the entire cd of pictures from the photographer, and the moment it arrives I will get some of the pictures on here, as a belated present to you.
6 comments:
Happy Birthday Will.
It doesn't matter where your home is housed Kelly. It will be beautiful. Paint and plaster are irrelevant.
Happy Birthday, Will! Three is a great age to be!
Happy Birthday Will!
My Amanda turned three last month, I still can hardly beleive that she is three...didn't I just come home with her yesterday? I remember thinking that three would never come...low and behold it did.
I wish you the best with the house ordeal...it will work out. Isn't there a saying home is where the heart is?
Happy birthday Will! Hope it was a wonderful celebration!
Happy Birthday handsome boy!! We hope you had a day full of magic and suprises!!!
We have the same housing problem up here, the prices have gone crazy and there are bidding wars...It is just awful!! People who payed 150 for a house were selling for 400!!! Crazy!
That's a really great way to look at it. It's all about perspective, you know?
Happy Birthday to Will! He's growing up!
Post a Comment