"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Monday, March 17, 2008

Watching the big boys play.

Saturday afternoon we were lucky enough to take in a NHL afternoon game. Will has been to a few of these and it is always the same, Will wants to hide his teary eyes in my coat while all the flashing lights, booming music and explosive player introductions take place. It takes him well into the first period to get comfortable in his own seat and enjoy just the hockey game. By the third period he is able to cheer and clap with the rest of the crowd.

We once went to a NFL game and Will struggled with getting to a place he could feel comfortable and enjoy the game. Someone in the row behind us, who had obviously enjoyed a few beers, wondered aloud to her friends why we would bring Will along. I guess that was a fair enquiry. Why would we bring a little guy who was not really wanting to be there? We did leave early, but felt it was the right thing to do, bringing Will to experience an event any other 3 year old would be included in. We have been very conscious of making sure that Will is not "saved" from those unsettling life events because then the relative peace and quiet of home becomes the place that Will could never venture from, that Will's comfort zone would become narrower and narrower.

At Saturday's game, Will and I had to stand to let someone further down the aisle pass. I lifted Will and turned to face the the father and young son who sat directly behind us. He looked at Will, then me, and back to Will with the most deadpan expression. His jaw was clenched, maybe I could detect slight shock, or was it a hint of contempt? It was in complete contrast to the jovial bantering he had been participating in with his neighbours I had previously heard. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head.

I would have none of it. I leaned in slightly, looking him straight in the eye and bringing a broad smile to my face.

"This guy loves hockey, but hates loud noises"

What ever presumption this gentleman's brain was going to settle on, I was going to have at least a little say as to what it was. He was not going to think that I was unhappy, Will was unhappy or that we weren't just as into watching the hockey game as he and his son were.

And so we returned to our seats and enjoyed the rest of the game:






3 comments:

Christina M said...

You go Mom!
And Will too ;-)

Jeffrey Goble said...

What a great story, and what great pics!

Anonymous said...

When you write like this, straight on and with eloquence, you can hear me going "Right on!" and nodding my head in agreement furiously. Good on you for speaking up to your seated neighbours at the game!

I wonder how many times I've sheltered Gabe because of his unease. You give me a lot to think about...

And