"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Friday, August 22, 2008

COKE



I'm sure that by now, if you have been following the Olympic Games even casually, you have had the chance to see the COKE advertisement featuring a number of gold medal presentations.

At a time when producers are rolling out material that cuts down people with intellectual disabilities (and calling it art), COKE has come out with a commercial that lifts up and equalizes all athletes, in a beautifully presented walk down memory lane. It's amazing what a producer can do in thirty seconds. My family has gotten to the point where we hush each other for the commercial, we just can't get enough of it.

The part I like best isn't the fact that COKE has generously supported the Special Olympics for 40 years, but the fact that someone at COKE conceived this idea and put it together in a message that speaks a lot more about celebrating our humanity, than supporting any particular organization.

This must be considered the gold medal commercial for the 2008 Olympic games.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this commercial and thought it was fantastic, too. I e-mailed Coke to thank them for making this commercial, for portraying people with different abilities in a favorable light and for supporting the Special Olympics. I think we should all let them know that we appreciate their ad.

Jeffrey Goble said...

Hear, Hear!

rickismom said...

How nice that they mixed the pics of regular and special olympics, without making a big deal about it. Nice!

Yankee said...

"Cheeseburger. Cheeseburger. No Pepsi. COKE!"