It is common for parents of a kid with DS to get excited about upcoming Buddy Walks. I think they are great and we absolutely go when we have a chance. We aren't the big fundraisers and our "team" is just the 6 of us as we are usually in a new city and aren't as connected as established people. The mother of all Buddy Walks is the one in New York City that include the participation of celebrities and bands. The highlight if the event in NY is the video that plays on the massive Newscorp screen in Times square. Each year parents eagerly submit photos of their child in hopes that it will be selected to run in the video. I have submitted a photo twice before, the first time it was rejected. I could understand why as it was just a close up of a cuter than cute little baby Will, and the NDSS wants pictures of people with DS in action, included, working, participating and otherwise being a demonstration of normalcy. I submitted a picture for this year's video and I just received word that is has been accepted. I was happy to read the email that Will's picture would be a part of the Buddy Walk's highlight, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what the picture looked like.
I cannot remember what I sent them.
At first I thought I must be crazy, as any other parent would be overjoyed and ready to fire off a copy of the picture to all their friends and family with a big announcement. I have no idea what Will is going to be doing in the video. Playing hockey? Reading? Boating? Swimming? At school? What kind of parent would not know this? We've been so busy with stuff. Ahh, busy with stuff. All of us, even Will. We've been attending camps and classes and travelling and visiting relatives and enjoying the cottage. We've been doing regular family things and that, I thought to myself, is the whole point.
That's what the video at Times Square is demonstrating, that people with DS, that families that have someone so unique, carry on and live full, regular lives. How perfect, I thought, to have forgotten which picture of Will is in the video, because it means we no longer wonder about how a child with DS is going to fit into our lives, because our lives seem to have carried on full speed ahead.
So, I am going to watch the video with great interest and chuckle to myself when Will pops up in a picture that is just a momentary snapshot of normal.
3 comments:
Too funny - I am sure you will be able to pick him out. K's picture was selected - you know doing normal things like walking the Great Wall.
Hee - I'm sure you won't have any trouble picking him out. That's awesome that he'll be included! Give him a high-five from my Henry.
Also, just so's you know, I gave you a blogger award over on my blog! If you accept it, bow, prepare a speech, and pass it on to seven other bloggers. ;-)
http://www.motherhood-unscripted.com/?p=992
Well, I didn't hear from them, so we may not have been chosen. But I also forgot which picture I sent! (I think one of her riding a horse-she's 13)
Post a Comment