With the addition of Sarah Palin to the Republican ticket, parents of kids with special needs are going to have to do some considerable thinking.
Regardless of a parent's political stripes, there is something very tangible in the opportunity Sarah Palin brings to the table. However things go with the next administration, taxes, gas, the environment, the war, nothing could be as directly beneficial to a family of a child with special needs than a V.P. who brings a child with Down Syndrome to Washington. Not to diminish the importance of the other issues, but I don't think any of those issues would impact your life as profoundly as getting the world comfortable with special needs
The vote you cast may have a massive opportunity to change the world your child with special needs is growing up in. This is a chance for parents to directly affect their children's lives by erasing that void of misinformation and dispelling myths and bringing them into society proper, without the the battles for equality and dignity that are so hard to find now.
This opportunity may never come again.
8 comments:
While I do agree, Sarah Palin could do WONDERS in educating the world about Down syndrome. I'm not sure the education she could provide would be as beneficial as say, making sure those families who have children with special needs, also have the services and healthcare many desperately need.
At the very least, her candidacy does put Down syndrome in the national media. Let's see how vocal she is about advocating for those with special needs over the upcoming months. I am very interested to hear what she has to say.
I've popped over here a couple of times, really thinking about this, and, in the end, I really can't agree. (Or, rather, I agree with Chris.)
I would love to see a person with Down syndrome on the national stage, increasing visibility and acceptance of people with Trisomy 21.
But as far as my child's day-to-day life is concerned, I believe that disability rights legislation has a far greater impact (e.g. funding for government sponsored programs, No Child Left Behind, and other disability rights issues).
And when you drill down into the specifics, McCain and the Republicans aren't supporting my child and her special needs as well as the Democrats.
I'd love for that to change! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all agree about supporting people with special needs?
--Sarahlynn (mom of 2 so far, one with Down syndrome, diagnosed prenatally)
Chris,
I can only assume that a mother of a child with Down Syndrome has a vested interest in making sure her son has every opportunity available and considering her history of getting the job done in the face of adversity, I can't think of another candidate who is in a better position to make changes for our kids with special needs. She not just talking here, she's already walking the walk that so many other parents face.
After learning the story of nurse Jill Stanek ( jillstanek.com ), who became famous for whistle blowing on what happens to infants born alive after botched abortions and her story of holding a baby boy with DS for 45 minutes while he was left to die and then learning that Obama voted to uphold this practice, I cannot faithfully believe that he is a man of compassion and truly driven to protect people with disabilities. I think he's a man who will say anything that he thinks will make you feel good.
To me, Sarah is beyond the hype and is someone who is down to earth and identifiable to regular moms like me.
Thank for your comment!
I agree completely. I think I will put a post on my blog referring to yours...if that is OK. you put it so nicely. I seem to fumble with words.
Sarahlynn,
Disability rights would become EVERYONE'S issue if they were all more familiar with someone with a disability wouldn't they? Otherwise we are just a special interest group with our hand out. A first family that includes a child with DS would be a watershed moment, that would "build bridges" to the future for all our kids.
Karen, sure you can link, but I think you are just as good with words too :)
I am completely behind you on this one. I am completely thrilled about Palin on the ticket and will be voting for McCain/Palin!!!!
Kelly,
The Jill Stanek story is incredibly frightening. My husband brought it to my attention and it's horrifying. Thank you again for saying so eloquently what so many of us are thinking. I have never been very political and definately consider my self and "independent" but this presidential race has really gotten me involved and excited again with the addition of Palin for VP. It shows just how serious McCain is about real change.
Post a Comment