Like the warm summer breezes that make you want to take a deep breath and give your mind a chance to remember that it's summer and your supposed to be taking it easy, this summer has gale-forced it's way past and here it is back-to-school Halloween Remembrance Day! Whoa.
I guess that is what has driven me to the blog. I needed to get down in black and white some family stuff details so I don't actually think that we missed, like, a whole year!
Lots went on this summer, but our computer went to summer camp so it was hard to write about it. Actually, our computer languished at Staples for over three weeks while they tried in vain to solve a problem that would only crop up within minutes of plugging it in at our house. So after the initial 3 week visit it returned another two times. In the end it was the freaky cable that runs from the computer to our monitor. Anyway, with everything that was going on we didn't really have time to focus on the computer's problems and we just became a computer-free zone for almost all of the summer. Sort of. The Ipad filled in a little, but it isn't quite the same as the computer.
Life in a size 7 family is lovely and beautiful minus the wacky and weird. I think we are still in a net positive position, but it's like economics, we can fiddle with the numbers to tell the story we want them to.
Mitchell and Olivia have had their share of employment opportunities through the summer and into the fall. Mitchell bringing in hay at the farm and now a gas hop at a local gas station. Olivia was junior waitress (I don't think that is a real or accurate term, but she'll fill me in I'm sure) and is now babysitting and looking for something a little more retail-y. Mitch has a full plate with travel hockey, student council and other various committees and work (Mitch also travelled to Spain in August for World Youth Day). Olivia is busy dancing, volunteering with a great swim program for kids and young adults with special needs and babysitting. Jack is also playing travel hockey most nights of the week and generally staying out of trouble. Jack is an excellent help to me and I think Jack and I make some sort of dynamic duo when it comes time to get him and Will ready for the bus in the mornings. Special Olympics has come to our neck of the woods and Will has tried golf and is now part of a regular weekly gym night. Will also attends the special swim program too. Theo makes sure that if I happen to ever sit down I'm nursing him at the same time as he has made it plain that no form of latex or plastic are ever to cross his lips. Never. Mark has assumed a new role at work that is keeping him pretty busy, but very happy too. Oh, and we had to put the cat down. Poor Kitty.
That's the thumbnail version of our reality these days. It's really much more freaky than that. If I flipped open the day timer here you would get a nice visual of what a jammed up day looks like. So, in actuality I am located in only a modest number of places:
1. Nursing armchair with phone, Blackberry and remote control within easy reach, (which is OK if I have the coffee too).
2. In the truck (really a SUV, but I don't say "SUV" because that's too many syllables). I can nurse and change diapers in that thing too. I have it all pimped out in the back so that I can rush to the back and grab diapers and wipes, or nurse (which is OK if I have the coffee.)
3. In the kitchen. In truth, it is often the case that the cold coffee is still hanging in there when I start making dinner and I sip away at it and tell myself it's such a treat!
4. In the laundry room. Yeah, with the coffee.
I am going out on Sunday nights to a writers group which causes some household inconvenience, but that just reminds everyone here how lucky they are to have me. I know, I have no business writing when there are so many other things to do, but the beauty of writing is that once I've finished something it stays done! I don't think that can be said of anything else I do. I am, at the moment, finding it very hard to complete some of the writing assignments as they become longer and more technical, but I just do what I can and don't stress about it because if something I enjoy becomes stressful then what good is it?
I guess that is what has driven me to the blog. I needed to get down in black and white some family stuff details so I don't actually think that we missed, like, a whole year!
Lots went on this summer, but our computer went to summer camp so it was hard to write about it. Actually, our computer languished at Staples for over three weeks while they tried in vain to solve a problem that would only crop up within minutes of plugging it in at our house. So after the initial 3 week visit it returned another two times. In the end it was the freaky cable that runs from the computer to our monitor. Anyway, with everything that was going on we didn't really have time to focus on the computer's problems and we just became a computer-free zone for almost all of the summer. Sort of. The Ipad filled in a little, but it isn't quite the same as the computer.
Life in a size 7 family is lovely and beautiful minus the wacky and weird. I think we are still in a net positive position, but it's like economics, we can fiddle with the numbers to tell the story we want them to.
Mitchell and Olivia have had their share of employment opportunities through the summer and into the fall. Mitchell bringing in hay at the farm and now a gas hop at a local gas station. Olivia was junior waitress (I don't think that is a real or accurate term, but she'll fill me in I'm sure) and is now babysitting and looking for something a little more retail-y. Mitch has a full plate with travel hockey, student council and other various committees and work (Mitch also travelled to Spain in August for World Youth Day). Olivia is busy dancing, volunteering with a great swim program for kids and young adults with special needs and babysitting. Jack is also playing travel hockey most nights of the week and generally staying out of trouble. Jack is an excellent help to me and I think Jack and I make some sort of dynamic duo when it comes time to get him and Will ready for the bus in the mornings. Special Olympics has come to our neck of the woods and Will has tried golf and is now part of a regular weekly gym night. Will also attends the special swim program too. Theo makes sure that if I happen to ever sit down I'm nursing him at the same time as he has made it plain that no form of latex or plastic are ever to cross his lips. Never. Mark has assumed a new role at work that is keeping him pretty busy, but very happy too. Oh, and we had to put the cat down. Poor Kitty.
That's the thumbnail version of our reality these days. It's really much more freaky than that. If I flipped open the day timer here you would get a nice visual of what a jammed up day looks like. So, in actuality I am located in only a modest number of places:
1. Nursing armchair with phone, Blackberry and remote control within easy reach, (which is OK if I have the coffee too).
2. In the truck (really a SUV, but I don't say "SUV" because that's too many syllables). I can nurse and change diapers in that thing too. I have it all pimped out in the back so that I can rush to the back and grab diapers and wipes, or nurse (which is OK if I have the coffee.)
3. In the kitchen. In truth, it is often the case that the cold coffee is still hanging in there when I start making dinner and I sip away at it and tell myself it's such a treat!
4. In the laundry room. Yeah, with the coffee.
I am going out on Sunday nights to a writers group which causes some household inconvenience, but that just reminds everyone here how lucky they are to have me. I know, I have no business writing when there are so many other things to do, but the beauty of writing is that once I've finished something it stays done! I don't think that can be said of anything else I do. I am, at the moment, finding it very hard to complete some of the writing assignments as they become longer and more technical, but I just do what I can and don't stress about it because if something I enjoy becomes stressful then what good is it?
Today I am looking forward to a ladies shopping weekend, which apparently will also be including the guy that cannot tolerate non-breast drinks. Maybe two and a half days of shopping will cure him of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment