"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Wednesday, May 31, 2006

This place is hoppin'

It's the last week of school around here and things are winding up before the big wind down. Lots of parties and picnics and field trips. I wonder if the kids wouldn't prefer to skip all the whoop-ups and just veg at home. There is nothing academic getting done. It's been hotter than blazes here and I think that puts a dent in the IQ range when one is sitting in a stifling classroom.

Here on the homefront, there is a lot of backyard activity. We are days, maybe a week away from lounging on a new back porch. Yes an old fashioned good ol' days back porch. There is some vintage looking wicker furniture piled in the garage waiting to be installed. I can almost taste the iced tea that I'm planning to make as an inaugural celebratory drink. At that point I'm sure to start thinking about what to plant around the porch.

I should add that to one side of the porch will be a fenced in play area for Will. It is going to be filled with pea gravel. Let me tell you, I have stuck my foot in the large pile of that pea gravel on the driveway. Talk about theraputic! It is so relaxing to run your feet through those cool, smooth stones. I may have to leave a rake at the side of the play area for those who want to do some of that feng shui amidst the raised sandbox and climber. I think that it is going to be a shoe free zone though, because when one of those pebbles finds it's way into your shoe, you know about it baby! I do realize that this playsurface is not the best thing for a guy who can't walk yet, but it will be like landing in a soft duvet, if one were to have a little fall.

Anyway, Mark and I have been busy relocating plants to a newly created bed to accomodate the building process. We have made a nice shadey border under the trees behind us and my hostas already seem happier. I'm looking forward to building upon those archtectural mounds of foliage. Hostas are my favorite. I'll take pictures when all the dust settles.

No comments: