"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Portrait sitting

I'm sure most readers are familiar with local magazines that are usually named for the city they cover. I live between two large cities and there are a few publications I am familiar with. Yesterday, when I ran into the drugstore for some Lysol spray to keep Will's room from smelling like his diaper pail during house showings, one of my local magazines caught my eye. It was an adorable portrait of a little girl, who I at first thought had DS, but upon closer inspection decided she did not. To the side of the picture was the name of the photographer and a promise of more pictures inside. I flipped it open and was amazed to see such unique pictures. One, in black and white, was taken in a forest and a dusting of snow covered everything. You become surprised when just inside the end of a long-ago fallen tree is a drape of a sheepskin and a little infant snuggled within it. Beautiful. I was then drawn to the article and at one point the photographer (which is a very young lady), said that she wanted her subjects to triumph over their surroundings. Oh-la-la how beautiful is that? Who do you think I thought of when I read those words? Someone triumphing over there surroundings. I called as soon as I got home and left a message explaining the significance of that statement to Will's life. An agent called me back within 30 minutes to book a time. She said to bring props and a change of clothes, but I said the success of this picture was going to be in an expression. I have thought about some props though. Mark suggested a hockey stick sawed down to size. That could work well.
Funnily, I had sought out a photog. for Will over a year ago, but was disappointed in what was available. I even called one gal and left a long message about Will and T21 and "special" and blah, blah, blah...but she never got back to me. I wonder if I intimidated her or if Will did. Anyway, I am looking forward to working with this recent high school grad to see how she captures the Triumphant Will.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I can't wait to see the photo--please post if possible. Will is so cute I am sure the picture will be beautiful.

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I can't wait to see the photo either! I'm sure it will be wonderful!

Tammy and Parker said...

We just did this as part of a commercial shoot for a brand of cloth diapers Parker wears. His picture turned out beautifully!

I know Will's will too!

Unknown said...

I love the quote....and I can't wait to see the photographs of Will!