Here I am! I have stopped by Tim Horten's and commandeered my Mom's computer until I drain the cup, what would be the limit to my kids patience while I catch up. Thank you for the continued comments while I have been away, they are such a huge treat to find! Thanks to Christina too, for the nomination...wow, I thought that Where There's a Will would be a very quiet place due to lack of new stuff here.
Ever since I have started blogging I seem to digest my life's happenings in a narrative style up in my noggin. This is how I have come to realize that my blog is some sort of habit, obsession or commitment that is not easily shaken. I think this is a good thing.
There have been a number of things that I have composed and saved in my head. I have remembered a few of them and I have also forgotten some. I don't have time to recount them here now, but maybe later.
Firstly an update. Will has been doing well, especially considering the fact that he has received nothing in the way of formal services. He attempts to repeat most words, he is becoming a little more nimble as he navigates the uneven terrain of rocks and exposed tree roots. He has swam in a pool and still has the bad habit of wanting to plop his face forward in the pool, a situation he cannot remedy on his own. We have not purchased that lifejacket I had posted about here previously. I think we may have to rethink it. I have discovered Will is allergic to fresh strawberries (rash around his mouth) as well as some other environmental allergen that has caused him to have swollen and runny eyes and nose. He had about two separate days of this.
We lost the TV, our only up-to-date connection with the world, to lightning. It was not a direct hit, but close enough to fry the TV while leaving the stereo, satellite receiver and DVD player untouched. Our wonderful cottage neighbours gave us a 20 year old Sony for free! Yes, 20 years old...back in the day of quality made goods. This thing is solid and sturdy and works perfectly, and it still fits into our armoir.
During a drive to what could be considered the nearest city I happened across a lecture from the Massey Lecture Series on a CBC radio station. It was a revelation to listen to Margaret Somerville discuss the ethics of new reproductive technologies. It was a complete affirmation of my beliefs and it was such a validation of Will's rightful place here by such a scholarly woman. I urge everyone who cares about where we are going as a "cleansed" society to get the book or audio version, with Ms. Somerville herself lecturing. Here is the link to purchase "The Ethical Imagination" through the CBC. It is also available here, through Amazon. Amazon seems to only have the Audio book available, maybe some further searching would find the book there.
If you get the audio version you get to hear yourself (if you are a parent or parent-to-be of a child with DS) described as courageous and hopeful and many other validating terms that she weaves into her portrayal of who the much needed pillars of society are. If you are ever having a down day, you can pop ol' Maggie in the CD player and you will be buoyed up in no time!
Sadly, my coffee is now gone and I have to wrap things up here. Sorry for the lack of pictures, I promise I will post a bunch after we are settled in the new place, because I am still taking lots. I even have a short clip of Will doing his best American Idol bit, complete with flashlight-microphone for a crowd of 70th birthday attendees.
I'll be back.
1 comment:
Glad that you are back on-line! Will sounds like he is doing well (sorry about the strawberry allergies). Joe does well with the just a regular life jacket (size small of course) in the pool. Is the fit the problem?
Good luck transitioning to your new place!
-amy
Post a Comment