Today started off on a sweet note. As usual, I had Will standing in front of me on the change table while I pulled up his pants and put on his shirt. I always do the dressing this way because I am guaranteed that at some point, Will is going to look me in the eyes and smile and give me a big hug around my neck, which is going to charge me up nicely for the day. With that lovely hug I remember to hold doors for people and generally be a good samaritan. Today Will didn't look me in the eye and give me his predictable hug. The sun was streaming brightly in his window and on my back. I guess it sparkled on my hair that was sitting all freshly styled on my shoulders. He picked up my hair and ran it through his fingers. He did that a few times and then told me:
"You look a lady"
Thank you Will. It takes freshly styled hair being spun to silk with the morning sun to get me lookin' my ladyish best. There's a beauty tip for all the ladies out there...stand with your back to the sun at all times.
Now, I did watch the Memory Keepers Daughter last night on the Lifetime channel. I had previously read the book, so was able to discern where they had deviated from the actual storyline, like completely erasing Nora's sister.
I'm sure most people watched it and could appreciate vaguely, the situation of losing your daughter to your husbands lack of good judgement. For me, I got teary thinking about what Nora actually lost. Nora herself couldn't understand the depth of her daughter's absence. Will was asleep on my lap for most of the movie and it was ironic that I could run my hand over his head and know what a huge difference he has made in our lives and feel the affirmation that I would be so lost without him. Of course I felt as though there are many other mothers out there who would also never know their "different" child. I feel so bad for them, more so than Nora, who had the chance for some sort of reconciliation at the end. I liked the part when Carolyn said she couldn't live without her daughter when the subject of a group home came up for Phoebe. I understood just what she was feeling.
I do have to note that the wigs used in the portrayal of Phoebe and the teen aged Paul were so terrible and distracting I can't imagine what film director or producer or whoever is in charge of these types of things, would even consider them necessary. Are there not hairstylists available to work with the hair the actor's have? Is the actor's hair so thin and practically non-existent that only the 3 or 4 pounds of rats-nesty looking stuff can make up for the shortcomings? I mean the real hair would have to actually be almost non-existant to reconcile the fact that the mop is a better option. It seems to me the Lifetime-type channel movie offerings are usually the only places you see the dreaded and freaky wigs. Does anyone else out there get so distracted with the stiff and awkward pile up on top that the dialogue, setting and plot kinda go out the window while you figure out just what happened to the character's lid?
2 comments:
That Will is quite a guy.
Oh yeah, I caught a bit of the movie at my neighbors house, BLECK.
The book was soooo much better.
I was so disappointed. I was a little upset that they made having a kid with DS look slightly fair tale-ish. Know what I mean? How many lucky DS babies are born with not a single health problem and can just drive off into a snowstorm...Well, not the baby, but you know what I mean.
:)
Post a Comment