Since Trig's arrival on the public stage, in the arms of him mom and dad or Piper, who likes to spit-style her brother's hair, my eyes have had to read some pretty hard stuff.
My biggest wish is for people to understand my son and all people with Down syndrome. Certainly I see such a lovely opportunity for the demonstration of love and total acceptance right before our eyes in the Palin family. It's one thing to see a new baby being celebrated, regardless of what differences they might have. It's another to hear the words of a dad, celebrating the life of his son after his passing.
I don't know about you, but Gene Stallings' book Another Season: A Coach's Story About Raising an Exceptional Son was one of the books we read when Will arrived. Mr. Stallings son, Johnny, passed away at the beginning of August. Here is an interview by Focus on the Family with Mr. Stallings about Johnny. Have tissue handy.
Hearing about how enriched so many people were by knowing Johnny is such a testament to the goodness in people, and the value of those with Down syndrome.
Years ago, when Mr. Stallings was being interviewed about his son he said that if the Lord visited him all those years ago and asked him if he wanted a "perfect" child or Johnny, he'd take Johnny every time.
I understand what Mr. Stallings was saying there and every time I read that quote I think to myself how lucky I am to understand the significance of the question.
3 comments:
Yes, I'm listening to this now. It is very nice.
I miss Will.
Elbog, sorry that Will hasn't been here of late. This is what happens when you husband goes on a week-long business trip and takes the camera. Well, I actually have my own camera, but we are down to one battery charger and he took it. Upon his return it was a few days before I actually located the charger, then a few more days to get my act together to actually charge it. It was yesterday that I finally got things back in order, but alas, Will has one of those colds that make his nose very red from all the thick green drainage. No pictures today...or school either ;)
Maybe tomorrow.
Post a Comment