"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Sunday, June 17, 2007

Pulling the plug

The movers are due here tomorrow morning. They expect to pack for two day and load for one. Personally, I think this is optimistic, but I'll go along with the timetable. I have been busy doing every last shred of laundry because the washer is getting sealed up tomorrow morning. Since everything is going to spend a month in storage, I didn't want to pack anything dirty, like bed linens. The kids are sleeping in their sleeping bags and I am sleeping in a quilt that will go to the cottage with us.
At some point this computer is going to have to get disassembled and that means I will be off line for a while, until I get settled at the cottage and then visit my mom's house (with laundry no doubt). I can access the internet from there and post pictureless updates here. I was thinking about being totally unplugged at the cottage today. I was rounding up all the kids video games and associated equipment for packing. They were trying to talk me into bringing them to the cottage, but we are firm with the no electronics. No computer, gameboys, playstation, personal DVD players. We will have a small TV for evenings or movie treats though. I think we are going to be grouchy people as we go through withdrawal and start reconnecting with each other and nature.
Maybe my infrequent posts here will sound like those desperate, deep inhales a smoker makes when they have been unable to light up for too long. My entries will have a "fix" theme to them, like someone obsessed with the act of posting more than the topic of the post.
In the immediate future I am going to be too busy to miss keeping up online, but when we land at our destination and things quiet down I'm sure to start getting the urge to share a moving story on here.
Anyway, I will be offline for a week or so. Stop in again on occasion though, just in case I get a chance to steal a moment to commune with technology.