"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm still here!

My girlfriend Leslie just called me and kicked my butt for not providing her with some fresh pickins' here lately. I did some explaining and she let me off the hook. In reality, we would both love the chance to be able to share this kind of stuff face-to-face over a cup of coffee, or a glass of wine if it's after noon.

Here's an update for all of you too.

It used to be that I would drop Will off at school and come home and pour a cup of coffee and get down my ideas, opinions, and antics in regular blog posts. Lately, I have spent those valuable 2 hours at the McCain/Palin Victory office just down the road from Will's new school. I have enjoyed my first "foray" into the working world (I'm volunteering, but it's still out of the house work right?) in 13 years. This temporary change up has eaten into those peaceful posting hours I used to have at home. I find it hard to string together coherent thoughts when Will is here with his demands for playtime!

Look, I've tried it a couple of times, putting Little Einsteins on the TV and dashing to the computer, but that led to a sneaky trip to the laundry room for Will, who sabotaged my folding, stopped the washing machine mid cycle, opened the dryer and loaded it with dirty clothes that were piled on the floor. I hate laundry, so this was a seriously low blow on Will's part.

I won't go into the details of finding him hiding behind a living room chair with a whole package of Keebler chocolate covered grahams.

Now, here's a little swimming lesson weirdness.

Today was Will's second last swim lesson. His teacher is a young guy who capital L loves Will. What swimming teacher would have no problem swiping boogs, bare-handed, from his student's nose? Jarrod likes to swim Will around the pool and introduce him to the other instructors, busy with their own classes. I don't know if Will is learning a lot of practical swimming from this guy, but I haven't the heart to give him any kind of trouble, we'll just keep bringing Will until he gets it. This isn't the actual story though, I just thought you should all know that Will's swimming instructor loves him.

So, after the lessons ended today, I was guiding Will with my left hand and I carried my purse in the right. Going into the ladies change room involves walking down a narrow hallway. As I escorted Will through the hall, a gaggle of girls, looking to be 11ish, were approaching in the other direction. They were in their Speedos and freshly showered for what was probably a swim team session. I tried to keep Will to the right of the narrow hall and the girls were wanting to remain in their tight group. One particular girl caught Will's eye. She was, well, a husky girl and her tummy was jiggling slightly, with the luminescent wet fabric fitting snugly across it. Will couldn't resist, it must have seemed like a tactile adventure and he just....needed to....reach....out....and....touch. Oh! Will! Too late! The girl snatched up Will's offending hand and threw it back toward him.

It happened so quickly, while we were all walking in opposite directions I didn't have time to really react. Will didn't care about the mishap, but as I dressed him I wondered who was more mortified, that girl, or me.

Also worth noting, Will missed all of last week's school due to a coldish kinda virus. He's much better now, but I missed the heads up that this Monday, the first day back to school apres illness, was school picture day. Will was not decked to the nines in anticipation of getting a fabulous $35. class portrait. When I picked him up the teachers informed me that Will had his picture taken, but not to worry they had cleaned him right up and he had a great time hamming it up for the photographer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking forward, keep your eyes peeled for a post of Will's favorite books as a lead-up to the Get Caught Reading contest coming in November.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who could resist touching something shiny and sparkly that jiggles, bubbly, and at eye level? Unfortunately for you and all the women of the world, this is the first of many "touchy" moments until Will "gets it". Although there are grown men that are chromosomally "normal" that continue to act "touchy" and still don’t “get it”.
God Bless that little Casanova!
L

Jeffrey Goble said...

Ya know, you let Will hang out with those hockey player-types, this sorta thing's gonna happen. . .JUST KIDDING.
I'm glad he's feeling better, seems he's been feeling a lot, lately (Badda-Boom!)Oops. There I go again.
I'm sure his face will shine through whatever you dressed him in.

The Bryant Family said...

Hee Hee...good story. They are quick our little ones arent they. Tucker also had class pictures this week and hammed it up for the photographer....however, I had not sent in money to purchase them. SOOOO, we are scrambling to see if I can get in under the wire to buy some. I dont know how I missed the little paper coming home with all the other paperwork...(HA, I probably saw it and threw it right in the trash--who knows)