"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Monday, February 12, 2007

Locanda dei Girasoli

Somehow "Pizza Hut" doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore not after reading about the pizzeria in Italy called Locanda dei Girasoli. Not only is the food there excellent, but the staff there have a "little extra". Aren't we always complaining about shortfalls of serving staff nowadays? At this place you are guaranteed to get more. All the wait staff there have DS. It is what now draws more customers than the great food. Every city needs a place to dine that offers a little extra. I hope that some of the restaurateur's out there see what a benefit it would be to a community and to people with DS, to seize upon the appeal and abilities of a previously ignored employment resource.

I live close to a cafe that employs staff with developmental disabilities. The food is great, the atmosphere is warm and friendly and the last time I was there I asked what all the banging was next door. They informed me that they were already expanding! They have been open for only 3 or 4 months and already they are doubling their size! How many cafes get that kind of business?

Maybe we are going to see a trend soon, I can't wait and I'm sure all the readers will agree when they get the opportunity to have a dining experience....with a little extra.

2 comments:

Yankee said...

I love these types of stories. It's my dream to do something like this in my area for The Rascal and her peers. It's just a dream right now but someday.....you wait and see.

Happy Valentines Day!!!

Christina M said...

Great post! One of the things I love about your blog is that you always try to focus on the positives of DS, instead of the negatives. I love that! There are unfortunately, and quite frequent, articles that mention DS as a handicap bigger than it really is, but I love how you always try to bring the positives forward. You inspire me to do the same!

I used the pizza link and sent (the newspaper article) and sent it to EVERYONE i had an email address to, and I also posted it on the Swedish DS forum I am part of.
Thanks again :-)

www.christinamolin.wordpress.com