"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Sunday, December 09, 2007

Cookie exchange

I am a procrastinator. I think many people are procrastinators. I have gotten by quite fine, with a few frantic last minute episodes that will always remain in the fore of my memory. That's a procrastination bonus, having your efforts at getting something done reach a high stress level, which undoubtedly creates an indelible memory. It is exactly this reason why I will always remember these babies:

I left the making of 5 dozen cookies for an early afternoon cookie exchange until ummm...today. I did have most of the ingredients. Everything except the meringue powder. Do you have meringue powder in your cupboard? Ever heard of it before? Didn't think so. I had to make a dash to the grocery store mid-baking to find a bottle of something I had never heard of or seen before. After speed-scouring the baking aisle I found powdered egg whites and decided they must be the same thing, or darned close enough. So I raced home through 3-4 inches of snow to resume baking while the clock ticked away unrelentingly. I had a few dough problems, wrestled with parchment paper, dirtied every square inch of counter space and had these guys baked, cooled and iced with a few moments to spare! Added bonus: they taste great too (if I do say so myself!) I was chancing it by using a recipe I found in this month's Country Living magazine. FYI: this basic sugar cookie recipe was great! The egg whites were worth the effort of procurement as they made a nice, quick-hardening Royal icing. My last attempt at Royal icing stayed way too liquidy.

Will, during the whole chaotic process would often come by and ask for a cookie. "Oh, just you wait Will, these are going to be really good." I showed him the raw cut-outs going into the oven, so he could appreciate the process. After the cooling/frosting I called him, proudly showing him a lovely little snowflake. He recoiled dramatically, half turning away with his hands over his mouth. "Will, these are so good...so yummy..look mommy is going to have a bite...mmmm!" He stepped away further with a look of horror on his face.

So, I get that he has been terribly conditioned to think store-bought are the only things worth eating. I am sadly negligent in the "let's bake together" bonding that moms are supposed to do.

After a few more small nibbles he realized he should maybe give this cookie a shot because it was going fast. He took the half snowflake and gently picked off all the icing. He took a cautious bite and turned away. As he walked out of the kitchen I heard his deep voice.

"Good."

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

They look great, how many did you get back?

Mom

Kelly said...

I sent 60 and got 60 back. I have frozen them in "lots", so the kids wouldn't eat them all in 3 days. :)