"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Monday, December 10, 2007

Will graduated!

I have mentioned Will's creative prowess here before. The wall/cabinet door/trim murals. Will's preferred medium is ink, but graphite/marker/crayon will easily do in a pinch. Having mastered line and form on a vertical surface, Will has moved onto a horizontal plane using his favorite, permanent ball point pen. Here is his latest creation:



Will is still using the expressive forms of sweeping lines and tight angles. He punctuates with small, well defined circles. Here, with ink on leather, you can see his sophisticated use of space, keeping a balanced and well defined subject. Also notice his grasp of scale and his courageous voyage into the next panel...er...cushion.



Here is an example of a more diminutive piece that features a strong use of angled lines. Don't you love the visual excitement this creates on the subdued brown velvet?


I love a home that is filled with artisic creation. How lucky am I that I now get to sit on original art? This sofa, having survived 3 other young children, will, over time, release the ink. It's a good thing I snapped a shot to remember this by.

5 comments:

Jeffrey Goble said...

Wonderful!
Emma accomplished a performance piece, today - I only heard about it. Evidently she immersed herself in an abstract dance form, covering herself with ash from the fireplace, within 10 minutes of arriving home from school. Mom was 'drawn' into it, of course.
Bravo to them both!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

It's a beautiful piece of artwork - he's a fantastic artist :)

Jodi said...

It is not easy to draw on leather...I'm impressed! Kellen's favorite phrase for a couple of years was "permament marker".
He loved the Sharpies!! sigh

tekeal said...

oh my goodness, you are really funny! is this what keeps sanity alive in a big family??

by the way, i'm a canadian living in switzerland...i read something re: scarborough in a past post of yours, made me curious where you live w your sweet will..?

thanks for your wit.

Anonymous said...

Now that is ART! :)