"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Art Show

Maybe you are already aware of the wealth of creative ability found in artists with DS. I have been to many links that showcase the works of a variety of artists. I thought it would be fun to gather the work together here, and have a real art show. You will have to imagine the silver trays of appetizers and the flutes of champagne, but the art itself will dazzle you with colour, imagination, subject and emotion.

The following pieces are all products of the The Mexican School of Down Art. This is an amazing place for students with DS to study fine art. As you will see, the students have become astute conveyors of beauty and emotion. Unfortunately the web site does not credit individuals for their work. I am only showing you a fraction of what is available...yes, you can actually purchase these! They certainly reflect some of the impressionism you would be familiar with through the great masters.


Caballero (Horseman)




Casas (Houses)




Los peces saltan en el agua (The fish jump in the water)




Mujer (Woman)




Bodegón




Cielo en la ciudad (Sky in the City)




Dolor (Pain)




Ciudad fábrica (City Factory)




El puente (The Bridge)




La playa (The Beach)




Mujer desnuda (Naked Woman)




Ventanas (Windows)



Here is the link to the John Langdon Down Foundation, where you can learn more about the school and the other services available through this organization. All founded by a mother, Sylvia Escamilla, when she realized there would be no services available to her son. Today more than 500 students attend the school, which offers a full academic program as well as an extraordinary art program through the school of fine arts.

The next featured artist is very familiar to me as one of his pieces hangs in my home. He is Lester Magoogan and he has achieved a lot as a young man. After competing with his artistic (and typical)peers, his art was chosen to hang in London's Tate Modern Gallery. It has even been made into short, animated movies. Understandably, his web site will not let me post his art here, but I have taken a picture of his "Chairman" in my house. It is a witty interpretation of just what he see's as a "chairman".






Here is Bernadette Resha, who is also a relatively new and busy artist (and newlywed!). Her work was featured in an article by The Tennessean




Barn




The Tulip



Finally, I will provide a link to Michael Jurogue Johnson's web site. He is very familiar to families who include a member with DS. He is popular for doing commissions of children and pets.


Doing any type of research into artists who have DS can provide you with many other chances to realize the expressive talents out there. Here are just a few links:


Jane Cameron, Anya Souza, Judith Scott, Erik David Behnke, Ashlee Jane Birckhead,


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before I even gave birth to Gabe, I came across Jane Cameron's work. Wow...It is absolutely beautiful. There is a pure creative drive in all these pieces that surpass anything conventional, I think. I remember being in grade school and not knowing what was "correct" or "manipulative" as far as color use or composition was about and really revelling in the art itself. The work of all these artists takes me there, and I love it.