"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's time.

Yesterday I purchased two boxes of small "Famous Amos" cookies. When I got them home I emptied them into a clear plastic container and presented them to Will. His eyes widened at what looked like jackpot to him.
"These are special cookies Will"
"Some?"
"These are for when you go pee pee or poops in the potty"
"Cookie!"
"Let's go sit on the potty so you can have one."
"Cookie!!"
Will did not want to walk away from such a beautiful sight, but I carried him to the nearby potty so he could understand the connection. He made a pee. We hurried back to the jar and I opened it. Will reached in gleefully and then found a nice spot to fully enjoy his treat. As soon as he finished it off he returned to the jackpot.


"Nother."
"Yes, you can have another, but first let's go to the potty and make a pee or poop"
"No"
"Well, then we'll have to wait for the cookie"

I had to go with small cookies for the potty training because Will won't eat candy. I guess a lot of it looks too much like playthings to him and he won't even give it a taste. So M&M's were out and I had to get something that was Will currency. Cookies were my only option.

Because the lid was staying firmly planted on the cookie jar there was some whining and general grumpiness from Will. To distract him I put on Thomas the Tank. He seemed cheered and would point out to me when Thomas would make an appearance. "Yes", I would reply, "here he comes". Suddenly Will's eyes flashed at me and he scowled. "Stop mom!". Apparently I was not invited into the delights of the Thomas video. Again Will mentioned something about Thomas and I agreed. "Stop mom!"

"Don't you be saucy to me William"
"Stop mom!"
"William!"
This time he whispered..."stop mom."
"Do you need a time out?"
William turned to look at the TV screen.....his lips moved silently, but I could still make out the words....stop mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you on the potty training!!! (laughing about the "stop Mom")

Yankee said...

Well, I think maybe you should try a little harder at sharing those cookies before you are allowed to enjoy Thomas.

Good for Will on the potty stuff.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you may have to provide me a potty-training manual! I'll try the treat idea. My sister was vehemently to the idea of food for reward, so I thought maybe I shouldn't try...But desperate times call for desperate measures! LOL!