"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Thursday, January 24, 2008

Status Report-day 3

So, it's day 3 of the new potty training regime. Will is still preferring to skip the trip to the pot and go directly to that very visible jar of cookies. I have installed a basket of books that really appeal to him next to the potty. I don't find they are actually contributory to a successful visit, but I think he likes them there as a definition of "his" special space, a poopin' nook. He will sit and peruse them, but soley as a reading exercise, not a toileting exercise.

I was lugging some plastic storage bins up to Olivia's room, along with the vacuum and while I was up there wrestling it all into place I heard a voice at the bottom of the stairs.

"Mawm...pawty"

How fast do you think I flew down those stairs? When I got to the bottom he repeated "pawty", but added "poop". Dare to dream! Will was not a fan of the poop deal on the potty, peeing was cool, but not that other business. I was so surprised that he a) called me-he initiated the visit! and b) that it was a poop!

After he was finished we took inventory of what was at the bottom of the potty. I held one finger up and said poop, I held another finger up and said pee. We counted the fingers, one, two...two cookies for the big boy!

What a great surprise for me today. I hope this keeps up. It may have been a little lucky streak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)
For those in the market for a potty chair, I can't say enough about this Baby Bjorn one. Will is the fourth kid I've had to potty train and I have used an assortment of different models. This one is great for a number of reasons, the least of which is the fact there are no attachments. Attachments usually distract kids away from the task at hand. Fiddley parts that move, store stuff or make sounds need to be cleaned (and who has all that time) and take the focus off the fact that we are now away from playtime. Incentives to "go" are all around your house and they don't need to be a part of the actual toilet. Did I come off as a know-it-all there? Hey, you can buy whatever potty you want, but if someone had clued me in to this one back in the day, I would have only bought one. You can find Baby Bjorn potty chairs at Amazon in lots of different colours.

3 comments:

Tammy and Parker said...

Happy Dancing with you!

Tammy and Parker

Christina M said...

YEah! Will!!!! Great job!

I am a BIG fan of all teh Baby Björn stuff :-) Will have to head out for the potty in teh future :-)

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am very happy that you're posting about potty training with Will. I have had a slow, inconsistent start with Gabe. But your posts have inspired me to become more serious/consistent. I made the mistake of buying the Fisher Price Royal Potty that makes the music at the slightest movement. Very annoying. I'll check out the Baby Bjorn that you've posted about.