"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Monday, October 06, 2008

Trig's place

Let's consider this article by Robert Paul Reyes:


Sarah Palin, John McCain`s vice-presidential
running, takes her five-month-old baby with Down syndrome wherever she goes on
the campaign trail. He`s a valuable prop when appealing to the "family values"
crowd or when pandering to parents of children with special needs. When Trig is
on a stage with his mother he is oblivious to the cynicism and pandering
festering around him. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, Trig will always be
unaware of how low some individuals will stoop to realize career ambitions. JUNE
KRONHOLZ of the Wall Street Journal posed this question:
"Little Trig Palin
prompted more than delegate coos when he joined his mother on stage at the
Republican convention. He also raised new questions among parents whose children
have disabilities.
Was Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin simply including her
5-month-old son, who has Down syndrome, in a big family moment, or was she
exploiting him in a tight presidential campaign?"
Trig`s deep aspiration is
not to help the McCain/Palin ticket solidify the GOP base, he cares only about
getting nourishment and attention from his Mom. Trig`s place is not before a
crowd of hundreds or thousands on the campaign trail, he should be at home is
his crib. If his mother has no time to take care of him, she should leave him in
the capable hands of a nanny.
I`m sick of the spectacle of candidates, both Republican and
Democrats, campaigning with their children in tow. Leave the damn kids at home;
I`m not going to vote for a candidate because he or she has cute kids who have
been trained to smile on cue.
Obama is also
guilty of exploiting his children for political gain. His adorable daughters
didn`t belong on the stage at the Democratic convention, they should have been
watching the festivities from the audience.
If candidates use their children
to curry favor with the
electorate, they shouldn't complain if their kids become fodder for the
tabloids.
In her acceptance speech at the convention Palin promised parents
of children with special needs that they she would advocate for their cause. But
you don`t have to use your own Down syndrome baby as a prop to effectively
campaign on their behalf.
Ted Kennedy is perhaps the best friend of the
disabled community, but he doesn't feel a need to exploit his disabled family
members to argue on their behalf.
Sarah Palin: For God`s sake woman, leave
Trig at home!



This is just an example of many articles that sound this alarm. Let's take a closer look at this one.

Firstly, right from the start the writer dehumanizes Trig, giving him the attribute of "prop". I think we can agree why he wants to do that. He accuses Palin of "pandering to parents of kids with special needs", cow towing to us folks who can understand or identify with Sarah Palin. I wanted to note that Webster's Dictionary also lists pander as a noun to mean "a go-between in love intrigues." How apropos, little Trig, in a mission to bring love forth to the unknowing. What a noble and worthy a mission.

The writer bemoans the use of all children in campaigns, but I bet he didn't feel the impetus to publicly complain about it until Trig took his place on the stage.

The Palin's are accused of "using" their child in a tight presidential race. That accusation requires you to find a reason to not have him there. Any other baby would be welcome and cooed about and then, like the rest of the kid stage-parades, forgotten . We can't forget about Trig though, can we? So what is the only reason you can possibly think of to disqualify him from participating in this type of family oriented event? I can only think of one. It's not fair for the opposing campaign to have to compete against Trig is it? He is a powerful statement for only the reason that he isn't a typical baby.

No, Trig's "deep aspiration is not to help the McCain/Palin" ticket, it's to expect an equal and valued part of a loving family and that is something the writer is not willing to extend to Trig.

Mr. Reyes also rails against Mrs. Palin's promise of advocacy for children with special needs while simultaneously holding up her son. Again, insisting that Trig be kept at arms length from Palin both figuratively and literally.

The irony of the last paragraph was most telling of Mr. Reyes naivete. He uses the example of Ted Kennedy (God bless him) as being the ultimate friend to the disabled. Had Mr. Reyes known his history he would have discovered that when the Kennedy family viewed their daughter Rosemary as a political liability due to her mental retardation, they had her lobotomized.

See the difference here? Trig is welcomed on the public stage with his family because they see him as a rightful member of the family. That view is obviously not unanimous and in many circles a baby like Trig is not worthy to be allowed this spotlight.

I say it is time to turn the spotlight around and start looking into why people don't want to see Trig.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I don't want to see ANY baby on stage, in front of lights and noise and hundreds of people at 11:00 at night. I'm no fuddy duddy, but a baby should be home, sleeping in his own crib, no matter how many chromosomes he has.

Sheesh. I don't even take my baby out to dinner!

Kelly said...

I used to be like that too. I was just talking about this with another mom the other day. When babies come along into families with older kids, that precious bedtime routine goes out the window. Will has been going out to restaurants, NHL hockey games, family trips to Canada and overnights in hotels since he was born.
I do miss those happy bedtime rituals though :)

Chris said...

Like you Kelly, I took John out too when he was an infant, but that was often out of necessity. If there was any way I could have left him home on occasion, I would have--not because he has Ds, but because he was a baby, and as Jen says, the best place for a 5 month old to be at 11pm in night is in his crib asleep.

Kelly said...

I agree 100%, and maintain family weddings, tickets to the big game and vice presidential speeches are exceptions ;)

Chris said...

Bottom line--Trig's place is wherever his parents think it best for him to be.

There are any number of reasons why Trig is with Palin.

Not the least of which is she is his mom and he is little.

Maybe she doesn't want to leave him.

Maybe she is nursing and needs him close by.

Maybe she is like many of us parents who are learning to come to terms with their child's diagnosis, and it helps her to have him with her.

Maybe she is keeping him the spotlight because it will appeal to certain voters.

Maybe she just her child with Ds to be front in center. Maybe it is her way of advocating.

Who knows?

I do sort of agree with the author of that article in one respect. I do think that children, of all the candidates, should be kept out of the spotlight.

What purpose does it really serve to have the candidates family on stage after a debate?

Kelly said...

Hey, I agree with you! In Canada we are lucky to know the name of the candidate's spouse. This longstanding tradition of making elections a family affair is an American cultural event. I suppose that Americans want proof of the "normalacy" of their candidates, or maybe a reflection of their own regular lives. I think that older kids, teens and young adults, are a way of garnering the youth vote, a way to have a "cool" or "hip" extension to a candidate.
A book could be written about this I'm sure (I bet a few have already been published).
I remember when the UK got so excited when Tony and Cherie Blair had Leo while Mr. Blair was in office. Babies are happy events and what campaign wouldn't want to be part of the happiness?

Chris said...

No doubt about it--everyone loves a baby!

And while I say I don't think candidates children should be front and center. I nonetheless love seeing the candidates with their kids. It is a visual for "family values."

I guess we want to vote for a nice guy--or gal :)--who is loved and supported by their family.

I just worry about the kids being scrutinized.

Ellen said...

I am with you, Kelly! I consider myself an Independent, but what an opportunity we have here. If Sarah Palin can accomplish one thing in terms of advocacy as VP, then we are one step ahead of where we are now. Trig is best with his family, and I bet he could hang out with his mom (research stresses wearing your babies)wherever she is for at least his first year of life - if not longer. I can remember how wonderful was my daughter as a baby. That isn't using him as a prop. It is doing what most moms would want...to be there with your child AND have that career. Boy, was she fortunate to have her fifth child born with T21!

Tom P. said...

Is Trig getting therapy?

Do you realize that Ted Kennedy was 9 when his sister was lobotomized? And do you know that the family allowed the lobotomy because it was recommended by doctors?

This statement is completely wrong:

"Had Mr. Reyes known his history he would have discovered that when the Kennedy family viewed their daughter Rosemary as a political liability due to her mental retardation, they had her lobotomized."

Rosemary was not mentally retarded.The diaries she wrote in the 1930's shows we was a very sophisticated and intelligent young woman. However she became prone to violent mood swings and Dr. Walter Freeman recommended a lobotomy to help Rosemary control her violent temper. Rosemary was 23 at the time and gave permission for the procedure. Lobotomies were new and Freeman was a dedicated lobotomist. He performed thousands of them even after evidence showed that they were hurting and not helping patients. To say that the family allowed the lobotomy on Rosemary because they wanted to control her? destroy her? is cruel and a lie.

Kelly said...

Thank you for your comment Tom.

Yes, Rosemary was mentally retarded due to an accident at birth that deprived her of oxygen. My only knowledge of Rosemary Kennedy's story I garnered after reading "The Kennedy Women", written by Laurence Leamer. On page 321 you will find this:
"Having such an operation performed on Rosemany, a mildly retarded young woman with ill-defined emotional problems, was by any definition an extreme measure, but Joe was a pragmatic man who saw life as a series of problems waiting to be solved. He decided to go ahead, convincing the doctors that his daughter was a perfect candidate. Thus Rosemary became probably the first person with mental retardation in America to receive a prefrontal lobotomy.
"Mr.Kennedy was a powerful man who could talk anyone into anything," Luella said
(Rosemary's nurse) The operation erases any active thinking, and I think Mr. Kennedy decided it would be better for Rosemary not to be exposed any longer to the general public in case she ran away. It would be better to almost 'close the case.' Then there wouldn't be any more trouble and it would be easier to have her in a home somewhere."

Rosemary never had a choice in the matter and the book goes on to say that if Rosemary's nurse had been consulted, she would have been against such action. Lobotomies had not been performed on people with MR, but instead on the chronically depressed, schizophrenics, or chronic alcoholics. Dr. Freeman had performed 80 of the operations previously, and only one on someone as young as Rosemary. Dr. Freeman did not consider Rosemary an ideal candidate, but Mr. Kennedy was the convincing voice to proceed.

The book also noted what would become of mentally retarded children born into the British nobility. All were sent away and in many cases, recorded as having died as children. The book discusses this as Rosemary's debut before the King and Queen at Buckingham Palace was ground breaking at the time.


I hope that this will defend my statements, I hate to be called a liar.

While I do not think the Kennedy family did this to "destroy her", I do think that much of the family was interested in controlling her. There are various examples through the book in which the family was embarrased by her.

Anyway, I think it is pointless to look back at the political families of the past, as the article's author does, to find a family embrasing a member with special needs when we have a perfectly great one right now.