Some of you may be wondering why I am even interested in this national election, after all, I'm a Canadian and can't even cast a vote. That is a good question and admittedly, before the announcement of Sarah Palin as vice presidential candidate, the American election process was an interesting curiosity for me.
Then, as I mentioned, Sarah Palin stepped onto the stage and took a spot beside John McCain. Let me state that I agree with John McCain's ideas and platform, but it was Mrs. Palin who brought it home, so to speak. It's one thing to have a candidate that shares similar views on taxation, government reform etc, but it's quite another to find someone who is made from the same cloth as yourself.
After becoming a mother to a child with special needs, many women find themselves a little tougher, a little stronger after going through what is probably the hardest thing they will ever have to come to terms with. We all know that Sarah Palin is a tough lady, taking on an entrenched old boys network, facing up to big, business as usual, oil companies. I think if we were ask Sarah Palin about that she might say that those were tough fights and very hard battles, but I have a feeling that she might say accepting the shocking news about her son Trig was even harder.
How many moms have stood in the same shoes, who took one of the the hardest blows you can ever imagine and with great resolve, with strength they never imagined they had, went forward on "the harder" road.
With my understanding of the grit and tenacity it takes to overcome fears and to find strength when you don't know if you can breath anymore, I think I have a little insight into what makes Sarah Palin tick.
I have no idea what it took to decide to tangle with the governmental status quo in Alaska, but I do know that a lady who welcomes a child with Down syndrome into her family is a ready for action person who isn't interested in how things can be easier for her, but in how she can serve another. I know and understand the spirit of giving that Mrs. Palin has shown in her private family life, and she has also shown the same spirit in her public life as a member of the PTA, as a mayor and as a governor.
I think we would all be so lucky to give her a chance to bring this spirit of selflessness to Washington.
Time and again, Mrs. Palin has invoked the names of all children with special needs. In speeches, in interviews, at townhalls she reminds us that she wants to do right for all of our children. That is so exciting for parents to hear. When have we ever heard that before? We are used to scanning the fine print of platforms to discover just where our kids stand in a candidate's view of a future administration. Here, with Sarah Palin, it's headline news, it's an issue she is embracing.
As she has reminded us, "having a child with special needs inspires a special kind of love." If she is bringing the issue of children with special needs from a place that starts with love, then I am signed on, I'm signed up, and my American born son stands to gain not only in reaching his full potential, but he stands to gain in society's view of him. He stands to become recognized as a full equal here and he gets a chance to embrace a process that counts him as an important part of this political process. One day he too, will have the chance to cast a vote and I will make sure he knows the name of the person who raised those who society viewed as less, above themselves. The person who put those with differences front and center because she knew, from a place in her own heart, just what different people can contribute to all of us.
I'll make sure he knows just who Sarah Palin is.
9 comments:
Hmm... I am following the dbeates from over here. Of course I am not allowed to vote either.
But what I do not like about SP is that she is againts homosexuals and that she wants to ban abortions. See those 2 things would be way bigger for me.
Especially after having a child with a disability I have more than ever started thinking every one is equal. Of course I knew that before too, buT vince has brought it to my every day attention.
And I reaaly, really, do not like the homofobic stuff. That just makes me mad. How can anyone be denied rights just becuase you chose to swing one way or another.
As for the abortions, I just think it would worsen the case if they were illegal. Kids/Wifes/Singletons whoever would still get them,s ome safe, some not so safe.
As for her havinga son w DS, that would be the thing that would be good about her... All the other stuff I am not very impressed by.
But what does it matter, I still do not get to vote :-D
Just had to put my 2 pence on it.
Hey Christina! How are you watching all this over there? What do you think about all this "crisis"?
I don't know how much coverage you are getting, but in response to your concerns I suppose you have not heard that Governor Palin's first veto in office was to stop a ban on health benefits to same sex partners.
"Her respect for the state constitution was illustrated by her first veto as governor. Alaska’s Supreme Court had ordered the state to provide health benefits to same-sex partners of public employees, finding that this was mandated by the state constitution’s equal protection clause. Palin vetoed a subsequent attempt by the legislature to enact legislation to take away the same-sex benefits. After being advised by the state attorney general that the legislation was unconstitutional, she said that signing the bill would be in direct violation of her oath of office. (Anchorage Daily News, Dec. 29, 2006 article.)"
Admittedly, I am pro-life, but I don't think that abortion will ever truly be banned in the U.S. I think that they want to take it from being a federal resposibility to the state level. I think what would happen in a McCain/Palin administration might be the end to tax payer funding for abortion. Even proponants of choice could see how people who oppose abortion on a moral/religious basis should not have to fund it with their tax dollars.
A vice-presidential candidate is hardly going to enact new law.
The U.S. can't even get an emergency bill passed to save it's whole economy!
I think what SP will be able to do, and effectively, is start to turn the tables for kids and families with disabilities and introduce a new way of thinking about our kids and the goodness they bring to the world. I understand your concern about people with "differences" and while the homosexual community has a large number of vocal proponants to inform and educate, children with disablities still face an uphill battle in regards to understanding, dignity and worthiness. In your own experience, how many times do your hear the word "fag" anymore? Now, what about "retard"? What do you think the homosexual community would do if they found a homosexual "gene", and parents started testing prenatally for it? Ironically, homosexuals would start to sound like those crazy pro-lifers. ;)
I just hope we do not miss this chance that I really don't see coming our way again.
Thanks for taking the time to comment! And say hi to your cutie Vince from Will. :)
Is she ready to be President?
No argument on what she will do in raising awareness for children with special needs.
But is she ready to be President?
If sworn in on Jan 20, and God forbid, McCain can't perform hid duties on Jan 21, is Sarah Palin ready to be the most powerful person in the free world?
No.
She even knows that to be the truth. Yeah, she said she was ready, with the "right team" behind her. She isn't ready to do it on her own.
Chris,
I certainly am not going to start an argument, but I will just say that it is my opinion that she is ready and I cite the fact that she has 100% more executive experience than Obama.
She has a proven record of reform, (Obama has not) that had to be accomplished by taking on entrenched business-as-usual old boys. (Obama IS already an old boy and has the money trail to prove it.) She took on the giant oil companies. No other politician has had the wherewithal to do that, anywhere. Is she ready to give a splashy interview? Is she a smooth talking politician? No. I've held quiet an interesting array of jobs in my life and I've worked with plenty of talkers, and I've worked with a few doers. I'll take one doer over ten talkers any day.
Now, please do me a favor and tell me what, in your opinion, has been Obama's greatest achievement you feel best highlights his political career. Just one.
I am waiting for Chris's reply. You go girl!!
L
Kelly, just watched the debate. I think Sarah Palin made it perfectly clear that she can be a talker when she needs to be. She did great in the debate.
Her rhetoric was good. She held her own, drew in the crowd, supported her candidate. She didn't say much to change my mind about her qualifications to be President though.
If McCain/Palin does win, I was glad to hear that she would be focusing on helping those with special needs. I do think she will be a great advocate for our kids; I'm just not too confident in her ability to lead US in foreign affairs.
Obama thought Canada has a president. He said he was going to talk to him when he got elected. And we are worrying about Palin.....
Chris, I apologize for the delay in getting your post up, it did not arrive via the normal email alert I have. I have also been away from the blog..regular busy stuff.
I have to admit, I am still mystified by your assertation that she isn't ready. She has proven herself as a person who can wade through the mess of government corruption and get people working for the greater good. Obama has no such record, well, he has participated in the staus quo of government that everyone is so angry about.
You didn't answer the last question, but that's OK. I'm going to ask you another one.
Do you think Sarah Palin can learn foreign policy quicker than Obama and Biden can unlearn the politics as usual, earmarking, kick-back payments they have participated in? Do you think they are genuinely going to bother "unlearning" that governmental system they have come to know and love?
Ooops, that's two questions, my bad.
Chris,
Additionally, do you wish you could see Obama's records from Columbia and Harvard? Obama would need to disclose his educational records on a resume to get a job anywhere. Why don't we get to look at them before the election for president? Do you have at least a little curiosity as to why we can't see them?
Post a Comment