I've had a few hangovers in my time. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. It's been a long time since I woke up feeling like a train wreck though. Having kids quickly snaps you out of the over indulgence of one-too-many because if there is anything worse than the headache/nausea/achiness of a hangover, it's all those problems in combination with a cheerful and energetic early riser who really needs a diaper change.
Today I had a hangover, but nary touched a drop of wine. It was all Will's fault. Will awoke at about 1:30 am. He was cold and performing an odd sliding manoever with his body over his blankets. I think he was trying to wipe his runny nose on the nice soft blankets, but at that hour, with my blurry vision and hazy brain who can say for sure?
I picked him up with a blanket and sat in his rocking chair. I took a corner of the blanket and placed it over my shoulder to keep my bare and now cold arm warm. After getting him settled to the point of a relaxed drape across my lap I realized I really needed to go to the bathroom. A moment later I began to have an attack of RLS and I was lifting my legs in every direction, trying not to disturb Will.
I gave up and brought him to my bed. After taking care of all my issues I returned to my bed and scooted him over to the middle and got in. Will then started in on me.
Will doesn't like too waste bedspace and feels that the best way to conserve space is for two people to share the same spot. He melds his body into me with a protracted effort of body-scooting. When the bed can't give him enough leveredge, he starts using parts of my body to hoist himself up and closer to me, like my hip bone. Just as he gets settled into his "nest"in a satisfactory fashion, the ache of his ritual starts to set in. That's when I needed to roll over and start thinking defensively, to remove certain delicate feminine areas, or the gal bladder, or the intestines from further assault. Once I got settled with my back to Will, thinking the whole time how it is like a fortress wall, I could feel him storming the fortress. Before I could complain, Will was fully on top of my wall and scaling down the other side, in search of that nice nesting area again.
This assault can go on for hours, with short snoozes between attacks. Will doesn't encroach 1 inch onto daddy's side of the bed. I guess that is a battle he knows he will lose, because any attempt at breaching that fortress would result in a direct trip to the dungeon-crib. Will can choose his battles wisely.
In the meantime, mommy awoke feeling as though she should have been out for the night, or at least fighting off invaders.
2 comments:
So sweet! You'll miss it when he grows out of it...I do.
Hopefully tonight will be a better night!!! E-mail me when you get a chance!
Post a Comment