"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Saturday, September 20, 2008

Coming to a liberal country near you....

We have our Peter Singer, but Britain has Baroness Warnock.

Not to be alarmist, but is your child with DS at risk of this line of "societal cleansing"?

Ask yourself, why does Peter Singer vote democrat?

Stay tuned for developments.....

6 comments:

Chris said...

There could be any number of reasons why Peter Singer would vote democrat, at least here in the US.

Democrats agreeing with and supporting his bioethics is not one of them. One just needs to look at Obama's disability platform to see that.

Singer and Warnock's views are not liberal--they are extreme.

Don't think we have too much to worry about their views ever having any political weight, at least not here.

Asking why Singer would vote democrat is liking asking why the leader of the KKK would vote Republican?

It implies a connection in overall beliefs that is misleading. A person with radical ideas can support a party, but that doesn't mean that the party supports the radical ideas of that person.

Kelly said...

Yes Chris, those are extreme views. We have seen those views travel from personal opinion, to class discussions, to published theory, to the pages of major newspapers. Yes, it's nice to think we still see them as extreme. The problem is, The Baroness has the traction of universal healthcare as a fertile place to plant her ideas. See how she frames the people with disabilities as being "burdens" on society? She is using guilt and manipulation to get people to stop taking from the public medical purse.
Canada also has universal healthcare..and low and behold...here is a Canadian doctor postulating on how Sarah Palin is going to cause the birthrate of children with DS to increase (as a bad thing).

"Dr. Andre Lalonde, executive vice president of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in Ottawa, worries that Palin's now renowned decision may cause abortions in Canada to decline as other women there and elsewhere opt to follow suit"

Full article:
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:rYevC6JEBI0J:latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/09/sarah-palin-dow.html+canadian+doctor+warns+sarah&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

It doesn't take extreme liberalism to start people thinking differently, baby steps can get us to places no one likes to imagine.

It's funny you should mention the KKK. That organization was founded by Democrats after the Republicans ended slavery. Here is the history of Democrats, as told by the Black Republican magazine. I think it is quite fascinating and I was thankful to have had the chance to read it. I urge you to read it too.

http://www.nationalblackrepublicans.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=pages.DYK-Why%20MLK%20was%20a%20Republican

Chris said...

Kelly, I did not know that Peter Singer was so well known in Canada. In the article you linked to, I didn't see any reference to Sarah Palin and Trig or specifically to Ds. If people are taking Singer seriously in Canada, I could see why you would be upset.

Continued medical advancements raise many bioethical questions. I can understand people philosophizing over them as Singer and Warnock are. I guess I just can't believe their personal philosophies would translate into policy.

I can't see euthanizing those with dementia, as the Baroness suggests (or severely disabled infants as SInger suggests) ever being viewed as a widespread acceptable practice. Maybe I am just being naive. Either that or I am putting too much faith in people.

Kelly said...

Chris, my bad, in my original post I said "we" have Peter Singer, but I meant as people living in the U.S.
I'm not sure if Canadians are aware of his demented views. That Canadian doctor was speaking purely from his own prejudice as far as I know, though he is probably familiar with Peter Singer.

My point is this Chris. Countries that have a socialized health care system tend to see the economic advantage of "culling" people who they deem as drains on the publicly funded healthcare system. That would include the disabled, accident victims, the elderly etc. Can you see how the pressure to have prenatal testing would be stronger in this type of situation? Do you think the pressure to terminate a "less than perfect" child would also be strong? I've discussed the stuation in the Netherlands here before. In the Netherlands, you can legally euthanize your disabled child after it's born.

This isn't an Orwellian nightmare, these are real ideas being put forward by real people and in some cases, these ideas are being adopted.

One of the candidates running in the election would like to bring universal healthcare to the U.S., there are many angles to consider with this introduction. I hope that people can see beyond what appears to be a quick fix. Canadians are not at all happy with their universal healthcare. I agree, that American citizens absolutely need to find affordable health care coverage. I am of the opinion that it is the hospitals and clinics who are gouging insurance companies, and that expense is passed onto the insured people.

The only reason I suspect this was reviewing a bill after Will had an EKG. I have no idea what medical supplies and equipment costs, but I do know what a baby soother costs, and it's not the $36. that the hospital charged my insurance company.

Jamie said...

Hey..check out my blog...I left a little something there for you! :)

rickismom said...

While the views are extreeme, we see more and more medical personel and public people questioning why society should bear the cost of our choice to continue a pregnancy where the fetus has been diagnosed with Down syndrome.
-I have a friend who lives in a VERY posh and liberal area of Israel. The physical therapist there didn't want to treat her son with DS., saying "it could have been prevented", and she would rather treat "a real disability where there is hope." This is NOT the norm for Israel, but if someone feels that they can talk like this to a client, it is scarey.
- I once was asked by a doctor why I didn't have ultrasound at my age and save money for the country. (I treplied:"Because I don't believe in killing people who are not perfect.")

I would not be surprised if in twenty years we have a society that forces women to make amnio, and demands they pay "extra costs" if they refuse or if they opt not to abort. People worship money, and our kids infringe on that!