"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Therapy can be fun stuff you do anyway

It's so good to know that the activities your kids do around the house are beneficial in more than one way. It's reassuring to think that your preconceived notion of "therapy" in the beginning can be addressed in your everyday life without a big production.

This last picture on the trampoline benefits not only Will's balance, but the stretching of a tight tendon in his foot. After an assessment with Pat Winders, we discovered that Will's very impressive sandal gap is the result of a tight tendon that runs from his big toe, along the side of his foot, to his heel. Will let her massage his foot for a good 5 minutes and we could feel the difference in it's suppleness right away. Well, Pat Winders is a little bit magic and she must have spell bound Will while she worked away at his foot, because when we try, even when he is sleepy, watching his favorite show, wrapped in his blankie, he doesn't want us fiddling with the feet. I have such a hard time understanding that becasue someone could rub my foot all day if they wanted to. Getting Will to stand up on his tip toes and the peddling of his trike are also good activities for him.

I have learned a lot about clever ways to make "playtime" or "help mom time" into therapy time from other moms and I have rather enjoyed putting some of those ideas into practice here at our house.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Kelly!!!, THANK YOU for the ideas, Will is so handsome :~)), love the pictures !!!

rickismom said...

woodbine books on fine/grossmotor skills give a lot of good ideas for things to do with "everyday" activities

http://www.woodbinehouse.com/main.asp_Q_product_id_E_1-890627-67-4_A_.asp

http://www.woodbinehouse.com/main.asp_Q_product_id_E_0-933149-81-6_A_.asp

Lisa said...

Kelly, I found your blog several months ago and simply love reading your updates and seeing the adorable pictures of Will. He brings a smile to my face. I am the mother of 2 daughters. Katelyn (2 yrs) is our oldest and has Down Syndrome. You are a great writer.

All 4 My Gals said...

That is so funny. I too would let anyone rub my feet! :) How cool that she was able to assess that. I have never heard that mentioned before. Thanks for sharing!