Too bad all the comments there became political. I just wanted to add that a 14 year old with DS that can not cut his food nor get dressed is NOT NOT NOT typical. (Ricki can COOK her egg!)
I wasn't sure how to take the fact that Congresswomen McMorris-Rodgers only flies home to see her son three weekends a month. I know her son is being well cared for by his dad; I guess as a mom, I just couldn't imagine being away from my child for that long.
I think that it is great that this article was written, but some aspects of it really bothered me. It still made having Ds sound so, so limiting. Yes, it did mention that there are "moments of joy". Just moments? Most people want a life filled with more than just a passing moment of joy! Don't you have more than a moments of joy with Will?
I just wish it had gone further in breaking some of the preconceived notions people have about raising a child with Ds. I fear it may have just strengthened them--14 year old who can't bathe himself, 38 year old who can't read, "demands of VP pale in comparison to mothering a child with Ds," warnings of "reality checks" that lie ahead.
One thing that was clear though--the love and devotion these parents have for their children.
Thanks for sharing your observations Chris. In our family my husband travels a lot (but not 4 weeks out of the month) and I am left with the 4 kids and the house to take care of. This kind of arrangement is a family commitment and, in my experience, is just a unique aspect to the family. Sure the kids miss their dad, but to be truthful, we are usually too busy with "stuff" during the week to have any meaningful quality time. It is the weekends that are really family time such as dad taking the kids to hockey, soccer etc. and we make efforts to have movie nights, game nights etc. I agree, Will is certainly more than "glimpses" or "moments" of joy. He has a great sense of humour, likes to participate in everything we do, is curious and can be a real rascal. A child with DS is as unique and faceted as any child. As an aside, we still cut Will's food up (he's 4) but if he can get his hands on a neighbouring knife, he likes to use it on his own food (although he may also like to take a few swipes on the table too). Yes, that article is not very "deep", but I am of the opinion that reporters just getting tuned into this new topic are afraid to venture to far out of conventional wisdom. I think Trig may change that going forward. :)
Kelly--I agree with your take on the article, and Trig's role. While I'm not sure about Sarah Palin, I will be forever grateful for her sharing her son with the public.
I also absolutely agree that how a couple decides to raise their children is their decision. Each family is unique and what may work for one, may not work for the other. I certainly think a dad is just as capable of being the one to stay home with the kids. I think seeing dads take on this role is AMAZING! A great example for young boys to see.
Thanks for the link. Glad to see the topic is becoming more and more in the spotlight. I did think it was weird, though, for them to say that parenting a child with DS was way more challenging than being the vice president. I find that seriously hard to believe, don't you?
Jen, yes I agree with your observation. Can you imagine that we are all working harder that the V.P. of the country because we have a child with DS? That is silly, but again, I blame it on stereotypical assumptions that really need to change.
8 comments:
Too bad all the comments there became political. I just wanted to add that a 14 year old with DS that can not cut his food nor get dressed is NOT NOT NOT typical. (Ricki can COOK her egg!)
What a powerful article Kelly!!!. Thank you for sharing it =)
I wasn't sure how to take the fact that Congresswomen McMorris-Rodgers only flies home to see her son three weekends a month. I know her son is being well cared for by his dad; I guess as a mom, I just couldn't imagine being away from my child for that long.
I think that it is great that this article was written, but some aspects of it really bothered me. It still made having Ds sound so, so limiting. Yes, it did mention that there are "moments of joy". Just moments? Most people want a life filled with more than just a passing moment of joy! Don't you have more than a moments of joy with Will?
I just wish it had gone further in breaking some of the preconceived notions people have about raising a child with Ds. I fear it may have just strengthened them--14 year old who can't bathe himself, 38 year old who can't read, "demands of VP pale in comparison to mothering a child with Ds," warnings of "reality checks" that lie ahead.
One thing that was clear though--the love and devotion these parents have for their children.
Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks for sharing your observations Chris.
In our family my husband travels a lot (but not 4 weeks out of the month) and I am left with the 4 kids and the house to take care of. This kind of arrangement is a family commitment and, in my experience, is just a unique aspect to the family. Sure the kids miss their dad, but to be truthful, we are usually too busy with "stuff" during the week to have any meaningful quality time. It is the weekends that are really family time such as dad taking the kids to hockey, soccer etc. and we make efforts to have movie nights, game nights etc.
I agree, Will is certainly more than "glimpses" or "moments" of joy. He has a great sense of humour, likes to participate in everything we do, is curious and can be a real rascal. A child with DS is as unique and faceted as any child.
As an aside, we still cut Will's food up (he's 4) but if he can get his hands on a neighbouring knife, he likes to use it on his own food (although he may also like to take a few swipes on the table too).
Yes, that article is not very "deep", but I am of the opinion that reporters just getting tuned into this new topic are afraid to venture to far out of conventional wisdom. I think Trig may change that going forward. :)
Kelly--I agree with your take on the article, and Trig's role. While I'm not sure about Sarah Palin, I will be forever grateful for her sharing her son with the public.
I also absolutely agree that how a couple decides to raise their children is their decision. Each family is unique and what may work for one, may not work for the other. I certainly think a dad is just as capable of being the one to stay home with the kids. I think seeing dads take on this role is AMAZING! A great example for young boys to see.
I found your blog through Jacob in Ireland. Will is adorable!
Thanks for the link. Glad to see the topic is becoming more and more in the spotlight. I did think it was weird, though, for them to say that parenting a child with DS was way more challenging than being the vice president. I find that seriously hard to believe, don't you?
Jen, yes I agree with your observation. Can you imagine that we are all working harder that the V.P. of the country because we have a child with DS? That is silly, but again, I blame it on stereotypical assumptions that really need to change.
Who better to change them than Trig?
Post a Comment