"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Thursday, September 04, 2008

The speech



Sarah Palin, during what was the most important speech of her life, looked straight into the camera and talked to the families of children with special needs. She told us that we would have a friend and advocate in the White House.

In the after speech on-line banter, much of which were criticisms, I got to read things like "that disabled baby" or "that half-dead baby". (Many treated her baby as though he were a vote-getting prop, not even for a moment considering he was a person.)

Those comments themselves were examples of why we need an advocate in the White House. I will go out on a limb and say that you will never, ever see that again from a presidential or vice presidential candidate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again Kelly, I agree with you 100%. I love Sarah and she has my vote :D

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

I'm getting weary of the stupid comments, especially the "Down Syndrome baby" line. He is a baby first! And he has a name! I have high hopes though.

Chris said...

Yeah, if i hear the "Down syndrome baby" line one more time....

I did not read any online comments--it truly amazes me how downright heartless people can be. about an innocent child.

I was wondering what people's reaction's would be to Trig. Wondering if anyone would wonder how he could sleep so soundly during what I imagine was a roaring crowd. I was afraid people would react negatively, and from what you say, they did.

It was wonderful to see him there. Despite all of the negative, cruel comments, I'm sure he won over a lot of hearts. How could he not?

After hearing Sarah Palin speak, it is clear that she will be a strong advocate for our kids wherever she is. Regardless if she wins the election or not, the nation is going to be watching this lady for some time to come.

Nick McGivney said...

You could probably say - and I would find it difficult to refute - that it's none of my business, but that's not fully true. The US casts a long shadow, and a lot of people outside its borders are concerned with how things proceed within them. I'm watching, I'm far from fully informed, but I'm still concerned, Kelly, that this woman is frighteningly adept at playing the media. I know she's been playing the hand that's been dealt her in some respects, as we all have, but in my gut I find it hard to endorse someone who so willingly parades the entire family before the spotlight, while quite patently spinning their virtues for mass consumption. Even if she only means good, and even if it puts DS front and centre as a result, that's sleight of hand in my book. She knows the media mill she's dragging every single member of her family through right now. How much symbolic stock is there in having a son who goes to war on September 11? From the remove I sit at, J McCain is in danger of being completely overshadowed. Who knows, maybe the GOP thinks that's a smart idea. Either way, I think you all have until November to mull this one over and make your choices. Important and all though disability in the community is, this vote is about the whole ball of wax.

Kelly said...

Nick, you raise some excellent points and I wouldn't want you to think that I am swooning all over Sarah Palin just because she has a baby with DS. If Hillary Clinton had a baby with DS (ha ha) I would not be embracing her.

By some of your comments, I'm going to assume you are unaware of the week preceding Palin's speech.

I also don't know if you know, but I am a Canadian living in the U.S. and am used to the political system you are familiar with. It is normal for us to know the first name of our leader's spouse and that's about it.

Things are much different here though. I can tell you that voters here want to know the spouse's shoe size and favorite fast food restaurant. As I mentioned, I don't know if you were privy to the feeding frenzy that got so far out of hand just prior to the speech delivery, but the only way to remedy the terrible onslaught of rumours and misinformation was to present her family to the country as a way of clearing up the mess. I doubt you will see that type of family presentation again.

As far as your impression of her being so media saavy, I find that ironic after a week of accusations that she was a hick from the backwoods of Alaska (this was the first speech she has ever delivered for more than the cameras of a local news station). Alaska is an area in the far north that features mostly small towns and hugely vast tracks of wilderness. Many families live much more closely to the land.

Being from Canada, I find her a somewhat familiar persona. I am a "hockey mom", I grew up riding snowmobiles and am part of a family that hunts and traps. Canadians are generally more unassuming and down to earth and I feel that she also fits that profile.
There have been rumblings about her "using" her son to score points (and the oldest son's deployment too I guess), but in this early part of the relationship between Palin and the public, they needed to frame her in her regular life, so that people could better understand her. The Obama's had the family out on the stage after his big speech, that's just what people want to see here.
I would hate to think there are those who feel that little Trig should be kept backstage, that he was somehow not qualified to share the stage with his family.
I feel that Palin showed her family off as a "regular" American family that includes a child with DS, a child about to be deployed and a daughter that is going to marry and have a baby, even though she is a teenager.
They happen to be a fascinating family and I, quite honestly, think they add to the depth of Palin's character.

As far as John McCain being overshadowed, It's my opinion that there would only be problems if McCain had issues with his ego. It appears to me that McCain is the kind of man who enjoys stepping back to let others enjoy their moments, their successes. I think he was fully aware of Palin's star power, I'm sure that was why he decided to add her to the ticket.

To sum it up, I don't at all feel that she is ingenuine. I think she is the authentic deal, a regular mom, like me, who is going to "get" what is important to other regular moms and I think the average American is crazy about her because of what she is not.

Anonymous said...

I must agree with Nick on a couple of his points. He is "far from fully informed".
Name me one Presidential/VP candidate in our lifetime that did not "parade' their family. I am sure the Palins sat down as a family to discuss the impact of running for the Vice President of the most powerful nation in the world. American people want to know about their leaders families. I also agree with Nick on another point. "This vote is about the whole ball of wax." Any educated human being is going to look at all the qualities of their potential leaders. Sarah Palin offers my country more than just advocacy for special needs Americans.
Leslie