"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man." Chesterton






Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Adult book talk

Lots of happy kids-book talk today, but I'm going to change gears for a moment and discuss a few books for adults.
If you have not already heard about the PostSecret books and website, let me fill you in for a moment. Frank Warren had the idea to gather decorated postcards that held never before revealed secrets on them. Three years later a number of books have resulted from the hundreds of postcards he has received. It is ongoing and he still receives enough of these postcards to post a weekly review each Sunday on his blog.
They are so touching and thought provoking, reading all these anonymous deep dark and intensely personal secrets. The poignancy of them is the fact that even though they are someone else's secrets, you will feel familiar with some of them. Inherent to the whole nature of secrets, many of them are not "G" rated, yet none feel depraved either. My point to even posting about this was the postcard that read:

"kiss my ass FIBROMYALGIA, i'm going to enjoy life anyway."

It struck me as being extremely defiant and powerful. I admire the person who wrote that because they summed up, so much more pointedly, how I feel about having a child with DS. I have written so many times about how DS affects our life, used analogies, spoke with emotion about how having a child with DS isn't at all the end of the world. Kiss my ass Down syndrome, we're going to enjoy life anyway. Go ahead, repeat that to yourself. Feels good doesn't it? Don't you feel like you are the boss of the whole situation now, like all the "attitude" you hear about and experience in relation to DS is somehow dismissed? I felt that way for me for a brief moment. I said it again to myself, but this time it was as though the DS isn't what I was was directing this to. It was "those people". Most of you readers know what I'm talking about. The nay sayers, the skeptics, the disbelievers. To them it was; KISS MY ASS, we are going to enjoy life anyway.

God, how liberating that feels

So you see, reading others secrets can free us from what we, ourselves, carry. There are lots more secrets in the book and on the web site. See how they effect you.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Do you think wearing a tee shirt that said "Kiss My Ass Down Syndrome, I'm Going to Enjoy Life Anyway!" would be distasteful?

It does feel good saying it.

Jeffrey Goble said...

If you haven't, you need to find a copy of Lyle Lovett's "If I had a boat."
You'll like it.