Today I got a call from her office. They had him scheduled with an ENT to see about his tonsil removal. Yes, this "caring" doctor was all gung ho to have Will's tonsils "ripped out" as he was at the "classic age" for this in kids with DS. I should note here that it was only through discussing Will's neck x-ray (standard antlo/axis instability check) that I mentioned in an off-handed way, that the tech noticed Will had big tonsils after spotting them on the x-ray. The doctor then jumped all over the tonsil removal thing. I reported that Will had never once had an issue with his throat.
I had told her pointedly that he probably needed to be rechecked by a cardiologist to make sure he was still "all clear" and got no referral in that department.
This further demonstrates her inability to treat Will as an individual, but instead lump him into the generalizations of a DS diagnosis. Sadly, I am at a loss to understand why she would choose a profession that brings face to face with children with disabilities.
Considering what went on in that office that day, I am left with the impression that she was more interested in putting Will through the wringer of a tonsil removal, then dealing with something that could be a more serious health issue if left untended to. She must deal with a lot of push-over parents, because any on-the-ball parent would have alarm bells sounding after a visit to her office.
I told them to cancel the ENT appointment. I should have told them to close my file as well.
3 comments:
Fire her. Your instincts are right and she is just going to be a liability in getting Will the best care possible. Will is very lucky to have such an "on the ball" Mom.
Nope, never. I'd have to question the dr.'s motives for wanting to cut into my child for no medical reason. Stick to your guns and look into recommendations for other physicians.
Michelle
I am with you sister! I feel the same way. Chase has never had a ear infection or more that 2 sore thoats in his first 3 years so I have not went to see an ENT either. We have no sleep issues so I am not going to take him into see a ENT whos job I feel is to say yep he has Ds so lets take everything out b/c someday he "might" have issues. Crazy thing is that our insurance would not even cover it b/c he has not "met" the guidelines remove them anyway. I am so glad my doc does not put Chase into the "grouping" thing. I am afraid I would have to beat her...lol But I do know just what you mean.
Post a Comment